• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

glad to have found you

E

eevanrowley

hi everybody.

i went through about 25 pages of google results to find you and i'm glad i did!

i'm a lifelong dental-phobe, which, combined w/ some bad habits (terrible sweet tooth, former smoker) and periods w/ no dental insurance has left me in a terrible, terrible state.

serious periodontitis, and 'wandering teeth' that have absolutely devastated my appearance, my self confidence and my quality of life. one of my front teeth now sticks out literally about a half inch from the rest of my front teeth - along with gaps, discoloration and just overall chaos. you would not beleive how horrible they look. i scare small children

i work at home now, which is good because i'm not obsessing and freaking out about my teeth all the time. in my former job, i was humiliated every day, trying not to smile, trying to beleive that my teeth weren't the only thing people saw when they looked at me. (not the case - i know people have to wonder what the hell is wrong w/ me)

now, i'm just trying to figure out what to do. i wont dump on you all at once. i guess i just wanted to say hello and thank whoever started this place. it's just good to know that i'm not alone. there's no one in my life who understands my situation. my husband has had his share of moderate dental problems, all easily fixable, and his smile is beautiful. he's wonderful but he cant understand what i'm going through.

i'll end w/ a question: has anyone had anesthesia with The Wand? is it really as pain free as i've heard? i'm going to risk going to the dentist alone tomorrow for a filling, only because they have this technology. i'll get through it one way or another, but i'm scared.

thanks!!
-nan

Nan,

Welcome to DFC! I know this dental fear family has helped me alot and is a great supportive community! You are on the right track and really great for making that initial appt even if you are scared!! Bravery is being scared but doing it anyways which is what we all do and try to do :) No matter how far we get ! Ive had the wand once a few years ago if I remember the only difference was there was sublle like vibratins as putting it in that is supposed to distract from the needle part. But to be honest with the topical and how most dentist put in the anesthetic it can be comletely or 95% completely free of pain even without the pain if they take their time and especially if you let them know your concerns. I wish you all the best for your filling and hope it all goes well and the dentist is kind and patient with you! Please let us know how it goes!

i'll end w/ a question: has anyone had anesthesia with The Wand? is it really as pain free as i've heard?

Hi Nan, I never had The Wand, but my dentist numbed me in the usual way three times in the last few months and this is what I felt: nothing. I mean really nothing. We are not talking about pain, we are talking about not even noticing that something unusual is going on. I felt that he was holding something in his hand and the thing was in my mouth and we were being there for few minutes like this till he said it was done. I didn't even felt anything touching my gums and later I was even paranoid about if he gave me an injection at all.

So given the fact that an entirely unnoticable injection is possible even in the usual way, then it must be absolutely possible with The Wand too.

If you look at the quotes from forum members that are included in the article about The Wand https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/technology/wand/ they all seem to be very happy with it :)