• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum line filling question

F

feignedbanana

About a month ago I had a gum line filling placed on the front surface of tooth #11. I've noticed that the filling material doesn't seem "flush", if that's the correct word, with my gums. If I run my finger (gently) from the gum onto the front, top of my tooth where the filling is, my finger catches on the ledge of the filling and there seems to be a space. Almost like the filling is either overlapping my gums or not close enough to the gums? I can fit the head of a plastic toothpick between the gum line and the filling. I'm worried that this is going to trap plaque and bacteria so I've been extra careful brushing in that area, but it has me really nervous. I went back to my dentist and she looked at it and said I can't get anything trapped there but I can't get the idea out of my head. Sometimes the tooth feels weird (like it's tight or something, like restless leg syndrome but in my tooth?) but I'm not sure if it's a real feeling or if I'm just focusing on it too much and creating the feeling in my head. I feel too silly to go back and ask AGAIN.

Is it normal/okay for a filling to fit this way on my tooth at the gum line?

Back