R
rany
Junior member
- Joined
- Nov 7, 2015
- Messages
- 4
Hi all, I usually read this forum when I am having toothache and it lets me think "at least it isn't just me who is scared of dentists!", but today I finally gained the courage to have a checkup and they said lots of stuff is wrong...
I hadn't been to the dentist since I was about 15, I'm 23 now, when I last went I was knocked out for the treatment but woke up halfway through and could feel and see everything, this experience has made me terrified of dentists and scared to go back so I have just been ignoring my problems. In the checkup I only let them use the mirror and so they had to do an xray aswell (I am terrified of the scraper thing that they normally use in checkups
)
I have a lot of tartar on the back of my bottom front teeth, which has all joined together and looks gross, my teeth felt so delicate that I daren't brush there and so it has built up and gradually gotten worse, last week it was uncomfortable to eat because my tongue was brushing against it and so that's what caused me to book the checkup. Good news from the xrays.... those teeth need the tartar cleaning off them badly, BUT the dentist said that there's still enough bone there that they are still going to be held in - I was afraid that the tartar was the only thing holding them in because there's so much of it and that made me scared to brush them or use them to chew.
I've only been chewing at the right side of my mouth for years, since a tooth at the left side chipped and I didn't want to chew there for incase it chipped more, there's also tartar on my upper teeth there. The dentist said that 2 teeth at the bottom left back need to be removed
and 2 teeth at the upper back right also need to be removed - one of these is just a root though as the tooth chipped off years ago, then I need the cleaning on all teeth and multiple fillings but the dentist thought all my other teeth can be saved.
My main issue/worry was the front teeth that I was scared of losing but they should be ok, so I am happy about that. But... how am I meant to chew anything with back teeth missing at each side?? Now this is my new worry
or that they find some other teeth that they think need to be removed nearer the front. One tooth near the front gets uncomfortable sometimes and feels like it has kinda popped out of place, but after wiggling my jaw or poking with my tongue it goes back to normal, I didn't mention this at the dentist but she didn't say anything bad about that tooth, maybe it could be the tartar making it feel like this?
I have to be referred to another dentist which will put me under GA to remove the teeth because I was so nervous, this will be in 4-6 weeks, but then I will still need the cleaning and fillings which I will have to be awake for but the dentist said she doesn't think sedation will do anything?? She didn't specify why? I am not sure why it wouldn't work and I don't think I'd be able to go there knowing I would be awake and aware of what is happening...
Anyway I seem to have written looooads, was just posting hoping for some reassurance or hearing peoples experience of missing some back teeth.. now to brush properly and worry for weeks until the appointment for the GA is booked, but at least I finally got the first step completed!
I hadn't been to the dentist since I was about 15, I'm 23 now, when I last went I was knocked out for the treatment but woke up halfway through and could feel and see everything, this experience has made me terrified of dentists and scared to go back so I have just been ignoring my problems. In the checkup I only let them use the mirror and so they had to do an xray aswell (I am terrified of the scraper thing that they normally use in checkups
)I have a lot of tartar on the back of my bottom front teeth, which has all joined together and looks gross, my teeth felt so delicate that I daren't brush there and so it has built up and gradually gotten worse, last week it was uncomfortable to eat because my tongue was brushing against it and so that's what caused me to book the checkup. Good news from the xrays.... those teeth need the tartar cleaning off them badly, BUT the dentist said that there's still enough bone there that they are still going to be held in - I was afraid that the tartar was the only thing holding them in because there's so much of it and that made me scared to brush them or use them to chew.
I've only been chewing at the right side of my mouth for years, since a tooth at the left side chipped and I didn't want to chew there for incase it chipped more, there's also tartar on my upper teeth there. The dentist said that 2 teeth at the bottom left back need to be removed
and 2 teeth at the upper back right also need to be removed - one of these is just a root though as the tooth chipped off years ago, then I need the cleaning on all teeth and multiple fillings but the dentist thought all my other teeth can be saved.My main issue/worry was the front teeth that I was scared of losing but they should be ok, so I am happy about that. But... how am I meant to chew anything with back teeth missing at each side?? Now this is my new worry
or that they find some other teeth that they think need to be removed nearer the front. One tooth near the front gets uncomfortable sometimes and feels like it has kinda popped out of place, but after wiggling my jaw or poking with my tongue it goes back to normal, I didn't mention this at the dentist but she didn't say anything bad about that tooth, maybe it could be the tartar making it feel like this?I have to be referred to another dentist which will put me under GA to remove the teeth because I was so nervous, this will be in 4-6 weeks, but then I will still need the cleaning and fillings which I will have to be awake for but the dentist said she doesn't think sedation will do anything?? She didn't specify why? I am not sure why it wouldn't work and I don't think I'd be able to go there knowing I would be awake and aware of what is happening...
Anyway I seem to have written looooads, was just posting hoping for some reassurance or hearing peoples experience of missing some back teeth.. now to brush properly and worry for weeks until the appointment for the GA is booked, but at least I finally got the first step completed!