• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

hard bony lump on my gum. pic includes.

S

soxflo

I have a small, painless lump on my gum. it is very hard almost bone like. If I press it with my finger then it goes white, but it doesn't hurt at all.

I last had a check up at the dentist in march and everything was fine. any idea what this can be as I'm quite worried about it.

thank you for any help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Hi :welcome: to the forum :jump:

How long has it been there?

hi Thank you :)

I don't really know, I think it might have been there for a while (weeks maybe months) but never really got me worried. I have a phobia of dentists which is steadily becoming easier for me, but it means I really worry about anything with my teeth.

it doesn't hurt, it doesn't feel anything like an abcess because it isn't squishy or anything. could it be an abcess though? :(

Maybe, I would go and let the dentist have a look they might x ray it to see what is happening under the gum. If it is an abscess or infection they will be able to treat it much easier now than if you leave it to build up to something bigger needing more extensive treatment.

I have had an abscess and I did have a pimple that looked like this but it doesn't mean that is your problem, you are best to see the dentist. If it is nothing you won't worry any more.

Let us know how you go on please :butterfly:

Looks like a necrotic tooth best confirmed with an examination and radiograph.
As part of the exam the dentist might pulp test the tooth. tooth is much darker than the adjacent teeth

hi what is a necrotic tooth? the tooth ha darker as it has had a filling. what is a pulp test?

I'm really worried now. I will book an appointment tomorrow

hi what is a necrotic tooth? the tooth ha darker as it has had a filling. what is a pulp test?

I'm really worried now. I will book an appointment tomorrow

Hi Soxflo
necrotic means the nerve has died and a pulp test is a test to see if this is the case.
The tooth looks all over darker than the adjacent teeth not just from the filling.
Diagnosis is pretty simple - pulp test, radiograph.
Treatment is also pretty straight forward with a high success rate so definitely book an appointment but don't worry too much. It should be fine

Hi Soxflo
necrotic means the nerve has died and a pulp test is a test to see if this is the case.
The tooth looks all over darker than the adjacent teeth not just from the filling.
Diagnosis is pretty simple - pulp test, radiograph.
Treatment is also pretty straight forward with a high success rate so definitely book an appointment but don't worry too much. It should be fine

hi rob, what would the treatment be? I get so paranoid that I will lose a tooth! would the dentist be able to stop my tooth getting darker? thank you:)

treatment is a root filling which is fairly straight forward for a lateral incisor and shouldn't be uncomfortable.
The tooth probably won't discolour further once rootfilled though you can't be sure. However once its been rootfilled it can be bleached very easily.
Chances of losing the tooth are very small. You need to book the consult though.

treatment is a root filling which is fairly straight forward for a lateral incisor and shouldn't be uncomfortable.
The tooth probably won't discolour further once rootfilled though you can't be sure. However once its been rootfilled it can be bleached very easily.
Chances of losing the tooth are very small. You need to book the consult though.

thank you, very helpful :) hopefully a root canal will sort this for me

Back