D
dsof
Junior member
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2018
- Messages
- 1
Hi All,
I went to the dentist recently and was quoted at 750 for a root canal and 800 for a crown (both private). I asked if they could be done on the NHS and she told me that the NHS does not cover root canals for this tooth, only the ones in front. She also heavily discouraged an NHS crown saying that it would not be good, etc.
I have researched and cannot find anywhere that says the NHS do not cover root canals on the furthest back molars - lower left tooth 7 (not wisdom teeth). Is this true?
here is the background:
For about 4 years now I have had pain in my furthest back lower left tooth (LL7) (wisdom teeth removed). The pain occurs when biting down on it at certain angles, grinding, chewing, both when I bite down and on release.
I have a very large white composite filling in the tooth.
I have seen multiple dentists about this tooth and most tell me they don't see any issues.
A few months ago I saw a new dentist who recommended the tooth be refilled in an attempt to fix the issue, so I gave it a go. The issue has stayed the same since.
I have just been in to see her again and discuss the tooth as the refilling did not do anything and here is the new diagnosis:
Basically my tooth has micro fractures in it and bacteria is slowly flowing into the root through the cracks which is then slowly eating the tooth from inside the root.
She took an xray and showed me the tooth next to the other 2 and pointed at dark space near the root, around the tooth, that she says shows what she is talking about. To be fair I did see more black space around that tooth than the others, so I do believe she is onto something.
She said that eventually bacteria will infect this area as it goes through the cracks more and more and at that point I would be in constant pain and my options would then be extraction or root canal and crown.
She said the longer I wait and the worse it gets, the lower the chance of success a root canal has.
She said I should therefore get the root canal ASAP and then the crown to cover it on the same day. I queried the need for the crown but she was very insistent on it needing the crown as well after the root canal to protect the tooth.
I also queried the urgency and she said at this point it really just depends on my immune system combating the bacteria there and that oral hygiene is no longer a factor.
She also told me that after having these 2 procedures I should have no pain at all in the tooth thereafter.
I went to the dentist recently and was quoted at 750 for a root canal and 800 for a crown (both private). I asked if they could be done on the NHS and she told me that the NHS does not cover root canals for this tooth, only the ones in front. She also heavily discouraged an NHS crown saying that it would not be good, etc.
I have researched and cannot find anywhere that says the NHS do not cover root canals on the furthest back molars - lower left tooth 7 (not wisdom teeth). Is this true?
here is the background:
For about 4 years now I have had pain in my furthest back lower left tooth (LL7) (wisdom teeth removed). The pain occurs when biting down on it at certain angles, grinding, chewing, both when I bite down and on release.
I have a very large white composite filling in the tooth.
I have seen multiple dentists about this tooth and most tell me they don't see any issues.
A few months ago I saw a new dentist who recommended the tooth be refilled in an attempt to fix the issue, so I gave it a go. The issue has stayed the same since.
I have just been in to see her again and discuss the tooth as the refilling did not do anything and here is the new diagnosis:
Basically my tooth has micro fractures in it and bacteria is slowly flowing into the root through the cracks which is then slowly eating the tooth from inside the root.
She took an xray and showed me the tooth next to the other 2 and pointed at dark space near the root, around the tooth, that she says shows what she is talking about. To be fair I did see more black space around that tooth than the others, so I do believe she is onto something.
She said that eventually bacteria will infect this area as it goes through the cracks more and more and at that point I would be in constant pain and my options would then be extraction or root canal and crown.
She said the longer I wait and the worse it gets, the lower the chance of success a root canal has.
She said I should therefore get the root canal ASAP and then the crown to cover it on the same day. I queried the need for the crown but she was very insistent on it needing the crown as well after the root canal to protect the tooth.
I also queried the urgency and she said at this point it really just depends on my immune system combating the bacteria there and that oral hygiene is no longer a factor.
She also told me that after having these 2 procedures I should have no pain at all in the tooth thereafter.
,