• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have I lost my blood clot?

• Thread starter paranoidandroid
  • Start date
P

paranoidandroid

4 days ago i had a lower molar removed. Extraction seemed pretty routine. However, 6 hours after surgery i got extremely nauseous which progessed into violently throwing up every few minutes for 5 hours. Once stomach settled everything seemed to go according to my doctor's description of how it would. Fast forward to today, 4 days later, i had just finished my first meal involving normal food (pulled pork). After, i brushed, and attempted to lightly rinse the extraction site with the syringe and some warm salt water. During this rinse, what appeared to be granulation tissue washed out of the extraction site.
Do I need to be concerned? Does this set me back to the soft food only diet for another few days? I'm horrified that I'm going to develop a dry socket. This just happened a couple hours ago, but im not feeling any pain and not tasting any blood.

If you aren't in a lot of pain and or have a really bad taste in your mouth you don't have dry socket. It sounds as if you are healing well if the granulation tissue had formed. I would still be careful near the site so that you don't make it sore.

If you are worried or in pain that pain meds won't shift then contact your dentist and let them have a look to put your mind at rest.

Carole is super right. for now, take really good care of it. If it only looks like you lost a tiny bit of it, you should be fine. If you can, just let the dentist know and take really good care of it. I had one molar removed last year and what helped me was eating lots of soup. I would tilt my head so that the soup stayed on the side of my mouth with no incision. Kept it very clean and worked great. I did look like a fish while eating there for a bit!

Honestly, a few days into recovery, i slept horizontally by accident and woke up with blood all around the incision (tooth 30). I was so scared I was going to lose the clot and get infection/dry socket...and I got neither. Healed up just fine, thank goodness.

Back