• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

having 8 extraction under GA scared help

A

anna9

hi all i went to the dentist recently and i need eight teeth out at the hospital. im glad they have offered me thus because its better than being awake because im scared of dentists but im also a bit scared of going under. has anyone here had this done before. what is it like are there many risks. the most things im worrying about is not waking up i no thats rare but you never know lol. and the other thing is that thing when they think your sleeping but you cant move and you hear everything and eel all the pain. i know it sounds silly but thats my fears.
also. im on the nhs and my dentist has reffered me to the hospital last week how long does it normally take to get to get an appointment is it ages coz my teeth keep gibing me pain but i dont want it awake.
hope someone can help me. also im in the UK and on the nhs.
thanks

Anna all I can say is that I have had treatment done under GA and regret that they no longer do it at the dentist. All you know is a little scratch on your arm and they ask you to count up to 30, by the time you get probably about 5 you are out for the count and thats all you know until you wake up and its all done. So it worked well for me. I think there are always risks with anaesthetic and thats why they only do it in hospital - because its a safer place to be and they have everything there to take care of you if anything were to go wrong. You have to believe that you are in safe hands. Given the choice I would have a general everytime although I know other people that would disagree. Talk to a professional about you fears before you go in and I'm sure they will be able to reassure you. :friends:

Back