• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having a complete meltdown!

M

MissMercy

Sorry guys! Im having a real bad day today. I go back next week for my permanent crown (yay) but they are also going to do my full exam as well. We didnt last week because i said " i didnt have time for more that the temp crown" we didnt the first visit because they were focused on geting me out of pain and getting the tooth treated. Well now the time has come and im scared poopless!!!! I have to confess i have more than just dental anxiety, i also have health anxiety. I was a smoker for many years and i have been quit for 9 months now (i do vape). I am absolutely terrified they will tell me they found something "bad" during my xrays and exam. You know like the "C" word. I just dont know who to talk to. No one understands the way my mind works. My poor husband tries his best and is really sweet and supportive but he doesnt quite get it. Any one else feel like this before an exam? Or am i just completely out of my mind? Keep in mind before this treatment started it had been YEARS I had not been to a dentist. I dont see anything weird in my mouth (im always checking) but ya never know.

I just dont know who to talk to. No one understands the way my mind works. My poor husband tries his best and is really sweet and supportive but he doesnt quite get it. Any one else feel like this before an exam? Or am i just completely out of my mind?

Hey :XXLhug:

So I don't have health anxiety so I don't tend to have that specific type of worry...but regarding having a complete meltdown as an appointment approaches...yes, totally! I think this is normal for anxiety. You name it, I've had a pre- (or post-!) appointment meltdown over it! It can feel like you're losing your mind, but you're not, I promise x

Feel feee to vent here as much as you need to - I find it really helps!

I have high functioning anxiety. You would never know it if you met me. Its not every single day But the thought is ALWAYS there. And if i see or feel any thing weird on me...its on like donkey long for days, weeks, sometimes even months because im so afraid to find out. It's exhausting really. I know it is hard for people that dont suffer with it to understand what I feel but I really really do appreciate your comment!!!

Hey miss mercy sounds like we have the same kind of health anxiety. Just wanted to let you know I'm rooting for you!! I have a root canal for my next appointment which is next week as well. I wanna say if I can get through the exam and my last 2 appointments anyone can. If you're anything like me you will feel soooo much better when it's done and wonder why you were ever so freaked out. Good luck hun!

Just remember you will always come out of the dentist's chair BETTER OFF than you were before.

Like someone else, I also have high-functioning anxiety. I work another program which has helped me on how I handle anxiety, but it's still there. Just recently, I attended a support group for anxiety disorders - I'm hoping that by managing my anxiety overall, it'll seep into how I handle my dental anxiety lol. It's worth checking out if you're up to it.

I had 2 fillings done yesterday. Up until the night before I was fine, then slight panic, followed by deep worry. My thoughts race so fast that I often don't even know what I'm worried about; I just know it's time to panic. I used self-talk to pick apart my thoughts and realized I was worried about the freezing (last time I had a filling done, I had a panic attack right after the freezing took full effect).

Finding someone that understands is tough. I have been fortunate enough to have a trauma counselor to help me deal with my anxiety. Overcoming the anxiety is very difficult, but worth the fight. Did you express your fears to your dentist? They might be able to help you through it.

Finding someone that understands is tough. I have been fortunate enough to have a trauma counselor to help me deal with my anxiety. Overcoming the anxiety is very difficult, but worth the fight. Did you express your fears to your dentist? They might be able to help you through it.

He knows I have really bad anxiety. He does NOT know that I am freaking out about having the full oral exam.

I am too embarrassed to say anything. I tried to tell him on the last visit and I just couldn't do it so I avoided the exam all together by saying i didn't have enough time.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine, except I am experiencing a little pain elsewhere and am sure of some issues. I'm scheduling my full exam ASAP. I, too, have anxiety. I assume the worst and just find myself obsessing over every little thing. You're not alone. It's good if you're not experiencing any other pain and that you don't see anything. Hang in there! Anxiety is the worst. I'm often ashamed or embarrassed of mine. I have been with my boyfriend nearly a year and he is only now seeing my anxiety in full force regarding my teeth. I get scared of judgment or that he won't love me or whatever. You are strong and making great choices for yourself.

I have high functioning anxiety. You would never know it if you met me. Its not every single day But the thought is ALWAYS there. And if i see or feel any thing weird on me...its on like donkey long for days, weeks, sometimes even months because im so afraid to find out. It's exhausting really. I know it is hard for people that dont suffer with it to understand what I feel but I really really do appreciate your comment!!!

I do believe that the constant level of anxiety must be exhausting. Do you find any relief from being active outdoors? have you tried it?

Back