• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having IV Sedation again but had nightmares after last time-literally..

Aurora10

Aurora10

Hi All,

I have had dental sedation a couple of times last year and it was really fantastic, I had no side effects and it enabled me to get the work done that I needed to. The only thing was, about a week or so later after the second time, I had a really awful night of bad dreams and I’m sure it has something to do with the meds they used in the IV Sedation.
I know it might sound strange but has anyone else had a similar experience? It was really awful and I woke up in a cold sweat and my heart was just pounding. It was extremely unpleasant especially as I never usually have nightmares and can only attribute them to the drugs. The meds were midazolam and fetanyl. Is it even possible to have side effects like these so long after the procedure?

Thank you so much ?

I had my first sedation last week on Monday. It was awesome. I don't know the name of medicine in the IV Sedation I had, but I never had any side effects after the procedure.

Maybe you can research or google up more about midazolam and fentanyl to see what side effects they have.

I'm in IT, not the medical or dental field so please take my advice with a grain of salt. It sounds like you might have a bit of PTSD or anxiety from previous appointments or anxiety about upcoming appointments.

Hi Aurora10,

no idea about pharmacology, but was wondering whether I got your question right - so you had an awful night full of nightmares one week after the sedation and feel it might have been side effects of the meds? Was it just that one night and then all was well?

I've had midazolam twice this year and no side effects at all.

I had my first sedation last week on Monday. It was awesome. I don't know the name of medicine in the IV Sedation I had, but I never had any side effects after the procedure.

Maybe you can research or google up more about midazolam and fentanyl to see what side effects they have.

Thanks for your reply. It may well just have been coincidental, I'm not sure. I am hesitant.to Google for information on side effects as I will make myself nervous for the next treatment date in 20days-Yikes!

I'm in IT, not the medical or dental field so please take my advice with a grain of salt. It sounds like you might have a bit of PTSD or anxiety from previous appointments or anxiety about upcoming appointments.

Thanks, that's a really valid possibility-I have had a lot of anxiety this past couple of years particularly..

Hi Aurora10,

no idea about pharmacology, but was wondering whether I got your question right - so you had an awful night full of nightmares one week after the sedation and feel it might have been side effects of the meds? Was it just that one night and then all was well?

Hi, I just messaged you! Long time no talk :)
It happened on two consecutive Saturday nights.

I've had midazolam twice this year and no side effects at all.

Awesome! I didn't have anything either apart from the weird nightmares. And only the second time..weird..

Back