• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Headache above my eye - tooth pain??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kitty84
  • Start date Start date
K

Kitty84

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2024
Messages
44
Location
Hastings UK
Hi there,

Quite a few years ago I had a filling In an upper molar, and the pain took a while to settle but then did. Since then I’ve had on and off horrible pain above my eye - which nearly where the tooth is below. Even into my nose hurts on that side and sometimes
My eye gets watery. My jaw bone feels sore on that side on the bottom - so just below my ear my jaw is really tender on that side. When I wake up in the morning I’ve noticed my jaw is wonky - my teeth don’t match up and my bottom jaw feels like it’s “drifted” to the left (when the pain is on the right).

I had x rays about 18 months ago and nothing showed up on the tooth that feels like it hurts. But it’s getting worse. Last saw dentist a couple months back and he can’t find any issue with the tooth.

Could it be to do with the filling? It’s quite a big amalgam filling, and I think it was done in about 2013 ish. I read they should last about 10 years, could it need replacing?

Dentist said could be TMJ type pain and I think this was suggested on here before. But what do I need
To do to treat that? Or which professional to see?

The pain in my head is super intense over this spot above/ behind my eye which feels
Just about the tooth. It feels like someone is throwing a pick axe at it. Sometimes it’s there all day and sometimes comes and goes. It’s driving my out of my mind - kind of the “I want to smack my head against something” kind of pain.

I feel safe with my dentist and their nurse so scared to see anyone else, but do feel a bit like it was shrugged off - totally fair of not tooth issue, but Gp says dentist needs to see and vice Versa!

Any help/ideas/ advice appreciated.

Thank you very much x
 
Could it be to do with the filling? It’s quite a big amalgam filling, and I think it was done in about 2013 ish. I read they should last about 10 years, could it need replacing?
I've got amalgams which are over 50 years old. They don't wear out and usually only need to be replaced due to decay around the edges or on new surfaces of the teeth.

Dentist said could be TMJ type pain and I think this was suggested on here before. But what do I need
To do to treat that? Or which professional to see?
Sounds possible. Your dentist should be able to refer you to somebody appropriate if they can't manage it themselves. We've got some advice on here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/tmj-pain/

Do the eye pains occur during the day, or at night or is there no pattern to it?

Do NOT Google for TMJ advice, this aspect of dentistry is so full of quackery it's like a duck convention :-)
 
Duck convention!!! That made me laugh!!!
No real pattern to the eye pains but jaw is deffo stiff in the morning and that’s when it feels out of alignment.

Thanks so much Gordon, you are much appreciated :)
 
No real pattern to the eye pains but jaw is deffo stiff in the morning and that’s when it feels out of alignment.
That's good news actually. There's a horrible thing called Periodic Migrainous Neuralgia, which is like somebody sticking a red hot needle into your eyeball repeatedly, but it seems to happen mostly in the small hours of the morning. We'll swiftly move along from that one and don't google it!

Those symptoms are pretty classic TMJ dysfunction due to clenching/grinding in your sleep. Your dentist should be able to help or point you to somebody who can.
 
Eeek that sounds awful and I shall be avoiding google.

Brilliant thanks Gordon much appreciated :)
 
I had a cross/misaligned bite my entire life which cause me to have tmj jaw pain. My oral surgeon near me also specialized in TMJ issues.
Also could be sinus issues. I’m just throwing things out there.
My roots were so long on my teeth they messed with my sinuses and sometimes felt like someone was sticking a fork into my eyes.
Let us know how it goes.
 
Back
Top