• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help!!! Differences between extractions and root canals

C

Courtenay

So in the last 2 weeks I have had a few broken teeth removed (3) and some fillings done (2). The extractions I am told were relatively easy and went well, after we were able to get the anesthetic to work, all three were rather infected after waiting so long to deal with them. After the last appointment where I had 2 removed I have had some residual swelling, and both times I have had some residual pain but nothing otc meds haven't helped. Now my first site is fine, the second side with the swelling is still somewhat pain full, not unbearable by ant means and every day getting better, there is still some swelling on my gum tissue. I am due this afternoon for a root canal in the same area (the tender side) and I am wondering if it is going to be any easier or if it is going to be any worse than the past extractions. Hopefully there won't be as many issues with the anesthetic though this tooth is also rather infected. What is post pain like with a root canal? Thank you!

I had my first root canal last week and it went swimmingly. It took about an hour and I had a composite filling to restore the same tooth immediately after (there wasn't all that much left of it to begin with). I was told that I may need a stiff drink and an OTC painkiller once the anaesthetic wore off, but thankfully I never felt even a touch of pain from it. All I felt post-treatment was a tight feeling, which was probably a combination of the root canal and the restoration, but it went away pretty quickly. It may even have just been the anaesthetic making my mouth feel a little odd as it wore off. In terms of a root canal vs. an extraction, I imagine an extraction would be a little more painful post-treatment. Of course, since the area you're having a root canal on is already tender, you may feel it a bit for a day or two after surgery, but I can't imagine it's going to bother you too much. As for the root canal itself, it involved drilling, a rubber dam, some chlorine-tasting chemicals and the usual probing that you can't feel. There was also a fair bit of what felt like quite intense pushing and pulling against the tooth when they were finishing up the root canal. I imagine it was to test the strength of their work. I'd say the worst part of it was the drill, but purely because it gave me that uncomfortable goosebumps feeling, which is more psychological than anything, so it probably bothers some people and doesn't others. No pain though. Oh, and the chemicals they use to clean out the tooth/root taste pretty funky!

Thank you for the quick reply!!! I think I can deal.with all of that. I am worried about the dam affecting my gag reflex but hoping it's less pain wise afterwards than the extractions. I feel like after this appointment in can stop dreading the chair as all of my major work is done save a few fillings which I have done fine with. I guess after this in will be looking at an implant to at least replace the tooth closer to the front and I can worry about pain from that though I imagine healing pain is much better than raging infection pain. I hope my root canal today goes as.well as yours did. Do you know if your tooth was quite infected when you had it done? Mine is a chronic infection as it hasn't bothered me for a long time but the infected tissue is still there and I wonder if that is why I have been feeling more pain post operatively as opposed to if I had just dealt with things as they arose.

I don't know to be honest. It turned out to not actually be the tooth I expected it to be! The tooth was mostly gone but I guess because there was enough in the gum line and sticking out from it, that was the reason it could be saved. I think there was slight bone loss from infection, but it wasn't bad. I didn't have pain from it though, but I guess maybe you don't if the tooth inside is dead? My knowledge isn't up to scratch! The dam I had was like a thin rubber pad. I think that was the dam anyway. It can be difficult to tell/remember when you're numb and can only see so much (other than the ceiling!). It didn't remotely bother me though, but it wasn't a back tooth so I don't know if it would make me gag if it more towards my throat.

Thank you. Inevitably I know I can look for anecdotal stories all day but realistically I just need to wait and see what they say when I go this afternoon.

I survived for anyone checking for an update from me. And my extraction sites are not infected like I was worried about! Had no issues with freezing but 2 canals were hard to clean so will be finishing it up in early February. 2 more fillings to do and this root canal and I can say my mouth is healthy!!!!

Back