• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help...Miserably failed the first attempt at going to the dentist.

C

Celeste

So I was here last July.

I'd made it through the first appointment fine-ish, then when the second one came along and it needed drilling and filling, the nice gentle-looking and sounding female dentist who I'd seen the first time was suddenly replaced by a manly and not so gentle male dentist and although I had the broken tooth fixed (because it hurt) it was awful. He tried to be nice, but I could tell he was annoyed with me, so despite at least 6 reminders via text message and voicemail I failed to attend any follow-up appointments (anticipated were at least 4 to fix all the issues).

Here I am nearly a year on, with another very painful broken molar (possibly caused by me grinding my teeth in my sleep through anxiety) and dreading my next day dentist appointment. The pain is so bad I'm scared to eat. I've rung around several dentists last week and couldn't find any who sounded like they'd be worth a shot. (some actually said, they don't treat anxious patients, believe it or not). This one has a nice sounding website, and the receptionist was very nice too, but I am absolutely terrified at this point. I want to stick with it, this time. I want to get it fixed and see someone I can rely on to look after me for the next few years (and my little son as well).

But this time through other issues that have arisen, I have been signed off sick with anxiety the previous two months and I am scared I am going to have a panic attack when I'm there. I know it's silly. I know he won't do anything tomorrow, and I'm literally only going because I've gotta eat to survive (lol) and not because I'm being sensible...

How do you guys stick with actually going to see the whole treatment plan through, as opposed to just fixing the worst issue?
:(

Hello,
I used to just go to the dentist when I was in absolute pain and begged for novacaine to end the pain..But recently I had a wisdom tooth extracted and it caused some problems which I had to continue to go to the dentist..I eventually had three infected abcessed teeth which were very painful..So another trip to the dentist..But I went to an oral surgeon for those and I was asleep..So I ended up missing a lot of teeth..Then my silver fillings were failing so I had to go get them fixed..I guess I kept going because I didn't want anymore teeth pulled...I figured I'd look for a good , patient , compassionate dentist to work with me..I have a typical odontalgia so I emailed one and asked if he knew/worked with anyone with this type of nerve problem..He said he was familiar with it..So I chose him..I was terrified to go..but he did the most thorough exam I had ever had..He is great at local shots(I didn't feel a thing) and he is good at pulling teeth(he pulled the infected one)..He listens to what I want ..So I am going to be brave the rest of the way and get two silver fillings replaced next week..Then a cleaning and I am done with my top teeth..I have to continue to go because I have a lot of bone loss around my bottom teeth so we are going to have them extracted and a bottom denture put in..Then I made up my mind to go every 6 months for a cleaning...I do not want to lose anymore teeth...My heart rate and blood pressure still go up and I still feel like running out of the room but I trust he will not hurt me..I also take someone with me so I know I have someone waiting for me...You can ask the dentist to prescribe you some pills to take before your appointment to make you feel more calm...Just ask...

Hi welcome back, it is nice to see you.

The way to get all the treatment we need doing for those of us that have persisted with it, is to find a really understanding dentist that makes us feel comfortable. Also their confidence in their ability, and in the fact that they can help rubs off and makes us have trust in them. This might not happen on the first visit or the second and sometimes you have to carry on going and all of a sudden one day we are a few appointments down the line and all of a sudden it is easier to go there.

It is scary and I have attended many appointment shaking and not knowing how the heck I am going to be able to get some of the treatments I have needed done.

I have found that if I just get there and explain how nervous I am and told them what bothers me most, usually the dentist is willing to work with us and prove all treatments can be done calmly and totally pain free.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

How do you guys stick with actually going to see the whole treatment plan through, as opposed to just fixing the worst issue?

Celeste for me so far it has been being treated by people who actually seem to care, and the fear of losing all my teeth if I don't. With that said, I am afraid that I could say or do the wrong thing, and my "caring" dentist will treat me with disdain as I have been treated in the past. The fear for me never really leaves.

I have a very long list for my treatment plan... and even though I am very scared of the dentist I am going to go through with it. They have done 5 fillings so far, one of them being what really "needed" to get done. Now it is just getting a lot of fillings and having my wisdom teeth pulled (I am not even thinking about this because it will just make me get worked up about it), then a thorough cleaning. I am getting through this because I found a dentist office that is so understanding of my fear. Also at my first appointment (an emergency, my molar was broken off and causing so much pain that I needed to go, I couldn't eat and it was making me sick) I came right out and told them how I felt. I ended up crying a lot because I was scared and felt so silly, but you know, they are so compassionate and they really just want to help me. They understand that my fear is real to me, and I think once I get all the immediate work done that I need I will be able to go to the dentist for a check-up/cleaning and not be nervous. I am very much looking forward to conquering this fear... and being normal like everybody else! That's what gets me through! I also have a faith in God, and I know my dentist also does... that helps tremendously! We can do this... each time we go and get something fixed in our mouth, we are closer to a healthy smile. I am excited to not need anymore work done. I hope you can find a dentist who cares about you and sincerely wants to help you... remember to try to relax and breathe deeply... that always helps me :)

Back