• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP: Sensitivity to chewing after a composite filling

L

l8rs8r

Hello,

I desperately need advice, so please read the entire post because the background of the situation is very important. I've recently re-developed my fear of the dentist. I was fearful of the dentist for the first 13 years of my life (panic attacks, crying, etc.), but I was able to overcome it. I overcame it because I didn't have to have any painful procedures done; I've only ever had regular cleanings and very small fillings.

However, that changed about a month ago when I went to the dentist for a cleaning and they said that one of my fillings had chipped (top left 1st molar to be exact). I thought to myself "no big deal, they'll fix the chip and that will be it."

I went into the office about a week later to get it fixed. The first problem I had was that I didn't realize I wasn't numb enough. Almost as soon as the drill hit my tooth, I felt it, and I about jumped out of my seat. It was a pain I had never felt before in my life. They had to numb me 3 more times before I couldn't feel the drill anymore. It was absolutely horrific; I guess I just need to be numbed up more than the average person? Anyway, I left the office after my filling was done, and I thought that would be it, but that was only the beginning.

The next day, I noticed that my tooth was extremely sensitive when I was chewing. It was NOT sensitive to hot or cold temperatures, but only sensitive when I would bite down on food. I could even push my finger on it and brush my teeth without pain; it was ONLY when I was chewing that it would hurt. It is important to note that I DO NOT have any throbbing pain and my gums do not look irritated at all. I literally only have pain when chewing.

I thought maybe the filling was too high, so I went to get my bite adjusted. They adjusted my bite, but after a week, it still wasn't better. Long story short, I had to go back to the dentist FOUR TIMES after my initial filling to get my bite adjusted. I went once per week for four weeks because I was still having sensitivity. Every time I got my bite adjusted, the sensitivity got slightly better, but I'm still not completely cured. I can now eat soft foods (pasta, sandwiches, etc.), but I can't eat any crunchy foods.

Initially, they only sanded the filling, but that didn't work. Then, during the 3 appointments after that, they sanded almost all of my teeth to align my bite, but that still didn't work. The dentist said if it's not fixed in 2 weeks, then I'm going to have to go get this filling drilled out, get a medicated filling put in for 4 weeks, then get a permanent filling after those 4 weeks are up.

I'm so scared that if I get a new filling, it isn't going to work. Plus, I'm scared that I'm going to feel the drill again. I've been a wreck for weeks. I have so many questions. Am I having these issues because I felt the drill when I initially got the filling done? Did my dentist ruin my tooth to the point where I might need a root canal? Will my tooth fully recover even though it'll have to go through more trauma of drilling? Is this a normal thing that happens to people when they get a chipped filling fixed? Please help. I'm desperate for answers, and I've been having panic attacks for weeks. My fear of the dentist has resurfaced, and it is taking control over my life. This is all I think about now, and I don't know what to do. I attached a picture of the tooth and circled it in purple.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance for any advice/answers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 1.19.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 1.19.26 AM.png
    567.4 KB · Views: 12
This FAQ any help?

@Gordon Thank you. Are temporary medicated fillings a good solution to settle the nerve in my tooth?

They can be helpful sometimes, yes.

Hello,
Did your issue with your tooth ever get resolved? I'm going through something similar and currently have a sedative filling in!

@Blueskies334 Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. The sedative filling helped while it was in (for about 6 weeks), but then when it came time to get the sedative out and the composite filling back in, I was back at square one. The tooth still bothers me pretty badly if I chew on it.

I decided to get a second opinion and went to a new dentist in April. The new dentist was very helpful and said that sometimes these things happen from fillings due to trauma in the nerves. It can take months, or even a year or more, for the nerves to calm down. Thus, I was given two options.

Option 1: Receive a root canal. Because my pain is only when I chew (no sensitivity to temperature, no toothaches, etc.), my dentist did not want to perform a root canal on my tooth. I'm only 23, so I would have a lifetime of problems if I got a root canal this young.

Option 2: Give the tooth a few months to rest. If the pain gets worse, then we would re-explore the idea of a root canal. However, by resting the tooth completely, it will give my nerves time to heal.

I went with option 2, and I'm still dealing with it to this day. There is a possibility that the nerve in my tooth will die, and I'll have to get a root canal anyway, but we figure it would be best to at least try to rest my tooth for a few months to see if it helps.

Trust me, I know how much it sucks to be in your position. Talk with your dentist if your pain doesn't get better. Get X Rays done to make sure there is not an infection in your tooth. Worst case, you'll need a root canal. Good luck, I'm sorry you're dealing with these issues!

How is it now? Has everything settled or did you get a root canal and if so how is it now?

Back