• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Yellow spot in gums after wisdom tooth extraction

M

marmag

Hello guys, newbie here!

I've had two wisdom teeth extracted 3 weeks ago. I developed two dry sockets, which were terribly painful, but are now healing well.
However, I can see in the gum next to where my lower teeth was removed a patch that is white/yellowish. It's not really a bump, looks more like a canker sore (but is slightly different in look and texture). It doesn't hurt at all, but it's getting bigger with time. I'm worried it's some sort of infection, even though I was on antibiotics after the extraction.

Should I be worried? I'm seeing my dentist next Wednesday (and she checked my sockets and removed the stitches last week and didn't seem worried at all about it, and just said the gum looked like it had been hurt by something), but I've been horribly distressed by all of this, and now always expect the worst. Did anybody experience something similar following the extraction?

Thanks in advance :hug4:

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

As long as the dentist has had a look and says it is okay it will be fine. Also as you are going back on Wednesday if there is any change that needs treating she will take care of it for you.

It is horrible when we have treatment and don't know what to expect after as our automatic reaction is panic, once that gets hold we expect the worst to happen. It won't, you have had dry socket and have had it treated so you are over the worst. Dry socket does slow down the healing process but you sound as if you are in good hands.

Try not to panic or worry you should be okay until your app, if things change and you get lots of pain and or bad taste then ring the dentist sooner and let them have a look.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

As long as the dentist has had a look and says it is okay it will be fine. Also as you are going back on Wednesday if there is any change that needs treating she will take care of it for you.

It is horrible when we have treatment and don't know what to expect after as our automatic reaction is panic, once that gets hold we expect the worst to happen. It won't, you have had dry socket and have had it treated so you are over the worst. Dry socket does slow down the healing process but you sound as if you are in good hands.

Try not to panic or worry you should be okay until your app, if things change and you get lots of pain and or bad taste then ring the dentist sooner and let them have a look.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Thank you so much! Your words have really calmed me down :hug4:

As I'm sure all of you understand, it's even worse to have trouble after a procedure when you're already extremely afraid of going to the dentist in the first place. Most of my friends and co-workers have had their wisdom teeth removed, and all of them had nothing but tales of easy recovery after being uncomfortable for a couple of days. Having been through all that pain and fear and then seeing it's still not going perfectly is frustrating and scary and makes me think something is always going to go wrong when it comes to teeth.

Soon enough this will be over, hopefully. Thanks again and a great week to you :)

Back