• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi Folks, I'm new here...Getting full upper dentures

F

franky74

So here is my story:

As a kid, my parents always took me for regular dental checkups. And, I had horrible teeth. No matter how often I brushed or flossed, I could never make it through a visit without a cavity. The dentist told my parents that I had very "soft" teeth. He felt that I needed braces, but that my teeth were too soft, and would rot beneath the braces. Besides all of this, he was very rough and I was often not completely numb for his treatments. So basically, no good dental memories from my childhood!

As an adult,I never had dental insurance until 2 years ago. For many years, it was ok. I brush very frequently. But then pregnancy, and the tooth and gum issues that go along with it, and here I am at 35 with a mouth full of broken, decayed teeth.

So I just try to pretend it's not happening to me as my teeth are crumbling, I keep my mouth closed at all costs. But here's the thing: The PAIN. For a long time I am able to take it. That is, until I experienced my very first abscess tooth! I mean, so much pain that I could barely think. I called around and found the first dentist who would take me. My first dental visit in 17 years.

The worst part, for me, was the embarassment I felt. I was so ashamed, I didn't even want to open my mouth for him. I am fairly attractive, I have a professional job....this is just something that I try to hide at all costs, and I felt so exposed with this dentist and his assistant looking into my mouth.

The good news: the dentist was AWESOME! Imagine my delight when I pull in and see the sign "Gentle Dentistry". The bad news: My top teeth cannot be saved. He recommends extractions of my top teeth and an immediate denture placed. In addition, he wants a partial for my bottom teeth. He plans to leave 11 teeth on the bottom, I need 4 fillings but that's it.

The problem: I cant afford all of this at once. I have good insurance, but can afford very little out of pocket. And, with the oral surgeon, I am looking at probably $6000. My insurance will cover $4000, but I honestly don't know how to come up with the rest, and don't want to go into debt for it.

So I am planning to ask him if we can wait a bit on the bottom extractions and partial. My bottom teeth do not cause me any discomfort, all of my pain and embarrassment come from the top teeth. I am going to suggest to him that we do the top extractions and dentures, and do the cleaning and fillings on the bottom teeth that are to remain, but wait for the extractions and partial bottom until I have a fresh year of dental insurance to pay for it (January 2011).

Edited to add: The 11 remaining teeth on the bottom are my front teeth. So, as far as appearance, I don't feel that it would not be terrible noticeable if I wait for the bottom partial

Does this sound like a good plan? Anyone? I will greatly appreciate any comments or feedback! Thanks for reading!:)

Last edited:
Hi Franky welcome welcome to our forum. :welcome:

It is wonderful to have you here. Thank you for sharing with us so candidly. and for having the courage to step through the pretending it wasn't happening and the courage to seek help for the pain and the courage to walk through your fears of embarrassment... to find that your dentist treated you awesome! :cheers: cheers to you Franky.

As far as the treatment goes, taking care of the top teeth and cleanings and fillings for the bottom is a GREAT GREAT decision!!!! you'll be so glad to take care of yourself in this whole new way and will feel better when you've moved forward through it. As far as when to take care of the bottom teeth that need to be removed. It is definitely better to take care of it sooner rather than later. it runs the risk of further abscess and pain again. an in between scenario could be this: to remove the lower teeth that need to be removed at the same time as the top... this makes it MUCH easier for you. then wait to do the lower partial when you have the new upper dentures made. ideally, you'd take care of the treatment plan in the order your dentist recommends because the lower partials will fit better to the upper denture in bite relationship if they are made together... and I'm talking this is months after healing, not the immediate upper denture. I'm not sure if you are having an immediate upper denture and a new denture made some months down the road.

If I've been unclear let me know and I will clarify. I've given a lot of details, but in essence, I highly recommend you to find a way to take care of your top and bottom teeth in a timely manner if possible. you are worth it and I'm sure friends or family will be open to helping you in some way. you are on a wonderful track and kudos to you for taking HUGE steps already.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shirley

As a kid, my parents always took me for regular dental checkups. And, I had horrible teeth. No matter how often I brushed or flossed, I could never make it through a visit without a cavity. The dentist told my parents that I had very "soft" teeth. He felt that I needed braces, but that my teeth were too soft, and would rot beneath the braces. Besides all of this, he was very rough and I was often not completely numb for his treatments. So basically, no good dental memories from my childhood!

Welcome franky74

I had this same situation as you, Always was in the dentists chair as a kid.

As an adult,I never had dental insurance until 2 years ago. For many years, it was ok. I brush very frequently. But then pregnancy, and the tooth and gum issues that go along with it, and here I am at 35 with a mouth full of broken, decayed teeth.

As a young adult i did have insurance. I contiuned to brush good, but all the cavatiys i got as a kid started falling out on upper mouth..But i never went back to the dentists..

So I just try to pretend it's not happening to me as my teeth are crumbling, I keep my mouth closed at all costs. But here's the thing: The PAIN. For a long time I am able to take it. That is, until I experienced my very first abscess tooth! I mean, so much pain that I could barely think. I called around and found the first dentist who would take me. My first dental visit in 17 years.

I did the same thing i just tried to ingore what my mouth look like, wouldnt smile with my teeth showing etc.. I also had quite a few teeth on upper that were past abscess. I was like you over time i could just take the pain..

The worst part, for me, was the embarassment I felt. I was so ashamed, I didn't even want to open my mouth for him. I am fairly attractive, I have a professional job....this is just something that I try to hide at all costs, and I felt so exposed with this dentist and his assistant looking into my mouth.

I was ashamed of myself to go to the dentists to let him see my mouth, but i also was ashamed of what my friends/family etc.. thought about my teeth

The good news: the dentist was AWESOME! Imagine my delight when I pull in and see the sign "Gentle Dentistry". The bad news: My top teeth cannot be saved. He recommends extractions of my top teeth and an immediate denture placed. In addition, he wants a partial for my bottom teeth. He plans to leave 11 teeth on the bottom, I need 4 fillings but that's it.

Thats great you found a dentists that was awesome, Sorry to hear about your upper teeth cant be saved. Im in the same boat as you, Just got all upper teeth removed and two on bottom, Immediate upper denture put in on top and going for my bottom partials next year when insurance resets

The problem: I cant afford all of this at once. I have good insurance, but can afford very little out of pocket. And, with the oral surgeon, I am looking at probably $6000. My insurance will cover $4000, but I honestly don't know how to come up with the rest, and don't want to go into debt for it

I also have good insurance my self ,my total bill was around $6000 also, My insurance paid up to $4000, Maybe some family members can help you out, if not there are some care credit you can look into. Or maybe ask you Oral surgeon if something can be worked out, Mine worked out a paymeant plan with me. But me my sister /cousins/ etc.. Have always went to him for oral surgey as kids.

So I am planning to ask him if we can wait a bit on the bottom extractions and partial. My bottom teeth do not cause me any discomfort, all of my pain and embarrassment come from the top teeth. I am going to suggest to him that we do the top extractions and dentures, and do the cleaning and fillings on the bottom teeth that are to remain, but wait for the extractions and partial bottom until I have a fresh year of dental insurance to pay for it (January 2011).

That sounds like a good plan, I had all uppers removed and immediate denture put in and two on bottom removed but Im waiting for insurance to reset for new year, then i will get my bottom partial done

Wish you luck Franky74

:hidesbehindsofa:

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! I agree that it would be ideal to take care of all of this ASAP. However, the ideal and the reality are often 2 very different things.:cry:

If I decide to go ahead with the extractions on the bottom, which would be (I think) 4 teeth, would it affect my ability to chew? They are all back teeth. This is the reason that I am considering waiting. My insurance benefits are going to be completely used for 2009 and 2010, between the dentist and the oral surgeon. I applied for Carecredit, which the oral surgeon accepts, but his services are quite pricey and I am afraid that will all be used as well.

I know that my dentist will tell me that I should not wait, but the fact is he doesn't have to pay for it, I do! So, in my opinion, this route is far better than my previous route, which was doing nothing at all while my teeth crumbled.:redface:

I just don't know. I am seeing the oral surgeon on Nov 23 (wish it were sooner), I've got lots to think about.

Also, the dentist I am seeing specializes it gentle family dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. Does this mean that there is a good chance he can help me design a good looking upper denture? My one fear is that the denture will look unnatural, but I am thinking that is more likely to happen at one of those super fast denture clinics?

Also, the dentist I am seeing specializes it gentle family dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. Does this mean that there is a good chance he can help me design a good looking upper denture? My one fear is that the denture will look unnatural, but I am thinking that is more likely to happen at one of those super fast denture clinics?

My dentists took my impressions , then i chose out a tooth color for them then they sent mine off to a lab to get done, it took them two weeks to get done for upper Denture. And it fits great for an immediate denture.

Every dentists is different, they may do them in house, or they may send off to get done.

Dont be afraid to ask your dentists anything, Ask if he does them himself or does he send off etc...

Also Maybe check up on reviews of the Dentists..

I think mine look great , they dont look unnaturual to me..

Hi! welcome! just had 14 teeth out awake and full immediate dentures put in about e hours ago! i feel spectacular and my smiles even better! yes having teeth out will affect the way you eat on the bottom. my mouth was a constant game of get one tooth out break another from having to chew there. i am so glad its over. my full set of dents was just over 3 Grand

Back