• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi, I'm new here, not sure in right section

GummyMummy17

GummyMummy17

:) Am I in the right place to introduce myself?

I hope so :)

I'm soon to be a gummymummy as I'm having my last remaining 17 teeth removed under IV sedation on the 10th and I'm scared, o'h so scared I was going to say you wouldn't believe, but you can, I know the majority of you will know the life on hold , totally all consuming fear I'm talking about:cry:

I am not getting immediates and that is freaking me out somewhat as I've been told my gum disease is bad (I knew that:redface: )and I have infection.

I can't think about anything else, I'm a shaking mess, I'm so stressed.I am in the UK and am fortunate to have a husband who loves me but doesn't understand my phobia, and 2 beautiful children:) Other mums out there will understand when I say they are my driving force.I don't want them to be embarrased of me and there's my health to consider.When I feel less shaky I will consider a journal (am shaking now, typing is hard) My dad had a stroke and eventually died of a heart attack so there is a history in my family.I could ramble on and on but don't think I would make much sense and it would be hard to read to I guess but let's just say I've been lurking for a long time and have found your stories of some comfort and also very scary but let's face it it wouldn't take much to scare me these days I'm that on edge:redface: I was in bed the other night with my husband just dozing off and his email alert went off on his iphone and I jumped out of my skin, then started crying.I must admit my husband must be finding me hard at the minute as one minute I want to talk about it and then I don't.And what do you tell your children? I'm so embarrased and ashamed that it has come to this.I hadn't even heard of dental phobia, let alone knew I had it until the 1st dentist I saw on the 20th Jan said about it.I obviously googled it and came across this community which I think is fab:)
So, yeah, "hi" (waves) I'm glad I found you.
Any other members who didn't have immediates after a full extraction here?
How am I going to cope?:shame:

Hello there and welcome! You're in the right place....no doubt someone will be along with advice for you shortly x:welcome:

You can help yourself cope, by continuing to post here, and get support, and encouragement from all of the kind folks here. We do understand what you are dealing with, and are proud of you for taking the steps to correct your problems. Welcome to the forums here ! You may want to read some of the journals others have posted, to get an idea what others are going through, or have been through. I am new here, and just love all the support here ! I hope that you find what you seek here, and find yourself on the path to better dental health, with a little help from some friends on the web ! This forum has helped motivate, and encourage me to get the treatment that I need, in the manner that I deserve to be treated, as painlessly as possible.
Thanks for introducing yourself, and participating on the forum here !
<KZ>

Hi Gummy, and welcome!
I had an immediate upper denture place when I had all my top teeth extracted last week. I know you said that you were not have the immediate done because of gum issues, so I'm sorry I can't help you out, but I do want to offer you some encouragement!!

About a week or two before the appointment with the oral surgeon for the extractions I googled "upper extractions full immediate upper denture" in many different wordings, and it kept bringing me back to this site, specifically to the archives, and the many different questions that were being asked and answered by users here. Took me about a week to realize this site was still active!! Of course I became a member as soon as I realized it was possible and have checked in every day and started my own journal here too!!

Try the archives if you have time, I am sure there are a lot of people that have had extractions without getting the immedate denture.

By the way, how old are your kids? Has the dentist told you how long you'd have to wait to have the denture? I'm sure they want the healing to be just about complete, but surely he or she should be able to give you a rough idea of what kind of timeframe you're looking at.

I wish you the best of luck!! I felt terrible before I had my extractions, my kids are 16 and 15, and have friends over all the time, and I was so embarrassed to be missing my front tooth and having the kids try to smile and joke with me, and eventually they, and I got used to the gap in the front. I had to wait about 6 weeks from the time I lost that front tooth, to the time I had my extractions and denture, and I had to go to work everyday like that!! But now with my beautiful new denture I am able to smile and laugh again, so it was sooooooo worth it!!

Hi Gummy :welcome:

I know exactly how you are feeling, just over a week ago I had 23 teeth out, was beyond scared, by IV sedation and I can honestly say it was great! I didn't know a thing, which I didn't believe was possible. I was supposed to have immediate dentures put in but because of infection in lower jaw that didn't happen. I'm only able to wear the uppers for a short time as well. Like you I didn't want anyone to see me 'gummy' but most haven't even noticed!! If you need to chat please feel free to PM, I'm on and off laptop most of day
:grouphug:

hi and welcome

iv not had my surgery yet but they said am getting partial dentures i think really getting worried now i got my appointment thro today for 2 weeks time they said i only need 13 teeth out i think but am so worried that all wake up with none anyways hope everything will be ok with you hugs

Hi, Gummy, and :welcome:.

One of our members, Globby, posted a journal about having all his teeth extracted and not getting dentures right away. He's a young man that works with the public, so it might help you to read his story:

I've been hoping he'd be back soon with an update, but in the meantime, he's got a good story to tell.

I strongly suggest starting a journal. It helps with the anxiety SO much, and gives US a better chance to help you along. If it's too hard to think and write about what's ahead of you, back up to the beginning and explain what's brought you to this point in your life. You can discuss your phobia openly, because we ALL understand, and you can take it slowly with just small bits until you're more comfortable.

If you have any questions at all, just ask em. Someone here will surely have an answer or at least know where to point you. I received my immediates when my last teeth were extracted, so although I can't help with the waiting part, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the extraction process or anything else I can help you with.

Good luck!

:grouphug:

Thank you everyone for your welcomes and interest in me:)

I will start a journal when I can sort things out a bit more in my head, been trying to think about how it all came about and as with all things very traumatic I think I've kinda buried it and tried to blank it out:redface:

Hi Gummy, and welcome!

By the way, how old are your kids? Has the dentist told you how long you'd have to wait to have the denture? I'm sure they want the healing to be just about complete, but surely he or she should be able to give you a rough idea of what kind of timeframe you're looking at.

I have a daughter of 11 and a son of 7.I think they have said between 4-7 weeks for the healing.

I wish you the best of luck!! I felt terrible before I had my extractions, my kids are 16 and 15, and have friends over all the time, and I was so embarrassed to be missing my front tooth and having the kids try to smile and joke with me, and eventually they, and I got used to the gap in the front. I had to wait about 6 weeks from the time I lost that front tooth, to the time I had my extractions and denture, and I had to go to work everyday like that!! But now with my beautiful new denture I am able to smile and laugh again, so it was sooooooo worth it!!

Thank you, yes I feel very self conscious for my children really.They haven't said anything yet but I would hate to think they might get teased over how my teeth look:shame: My daughter is just coming into that age where she wants to fit in and is very up on her appearance and how others look including her friends mums.I took her and 4 of her friends out for her birthday the other week and I barely spoke to them:censored: I was that ashamed:redface:, her friends are lovely too.I was embarrased by my mum she had bad teeth she was also a drunkard too.When I feel really , really scared which is most of my waking moments I just think of my kids, they are helping to get me there, them and my lovely husband:-*

Hi Gummy.
There's not really a lot else to say but wanted to let you know there's another pair of ears and support from here!
Sorry,I missed how long before you'll get dentures?Hopefully it won't be too long a wait.
I almost feel shallow saying this as I know I'd have the same worries as you,but I know a couple of people who never bothered with their dentures.One of them is my fil...I knew him for nearly a year before I noticed!(and then I was told)
All the best.xxx

Thank you soupdragon, no I know, I know what you are saying:) I think I am the same, I'm not the most observant of peeps:giggle: I tend to not notice stuff about people like what they are wearing but I know others do.I was talking to my husband on Saturday about this, about telling people and asking for help (I'm thinking picking my son up from school here) and my husband was like, I'm sure people will be understanding, friends will want to help.But bless him, I'm mortified, plus I don't have any real friends left as I've let them all go because I've stopped going out/doing things.I've almost become a recluse, a little hermit.I don't work, I don't do much of anything, that's what I need to work on changing.They are saying (both dentists that I have seen) that it will be between 4-7 weeks healing time.I know I am going to potentially be doing the school run for 3wks up until the Easter hols, then thankfully I have 2 wks off then it will be another couple of wks(I'm thinking ) before I get any gnashers. I am really really nervous, pooping myself if I'm honest.I don't care about smiling or even laughing, I just want to be able to talk, to talk to people with a degree of confidence not worrying that they are looking at my horrible, mishappen, chiggly lower teeth thinking "eeurrgh":redface::shame:

Back