• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how do you contacted your dentist initially? need ideas please

  • Thread starter Thread starter vita
  • Start date Start date
V

vita

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
48
I found the doctor I want and I emailed his office asking for his email (which turned out is a general email for all the office) but here I am terrified and crying trying to get the courage to write this email about how I have so much anxiety, how scared I am and how long it's been since I been at the dentist.
I drain myself with terror and anxiety and all I want is to get my teeth fixed, I am my worst enemy :(
 
Hi Vita,

I think the email process can be kind of slow in some cases. When I found the dentist I wanted to use, they had an email address but it was just a general one. I opted not to send an email because I was unsure of who would get it.

After I found the dentist I wanted to use, I literally carried the phone number in my wallet for days before I was able to call. When I finally got the courage up to call, I asked the receptionist a bunch of questions about the dentist I was hoping to use and she was very kind and helpful. I was also very upfront with her about my phobia and she told me that she thought I chose the right guy.

Can you possibly call the office? Or maybe have a friend or family member do it for you? I know how hard it is, when I called I was trembling and my mouth got so dry I could barely talk (I also had a panic attack after I hung up the phone).

I couldn't have said it better myself, we are our own worst enemy.

You found the right place for support and encouragement.

Take care :)
-nellie
 
I asked my husband to call them. He is already a patient and explained to them my fear. Now I call and make my own appointments, but it takes a couple days to work up the courage. I just couldn't force myself to do it the first time.
 
I've done an email, but after I started workig with Stress Doc he did the initial email for me and sort of helps me screen the dentist by their response. PM him for some ideas on what to put in the email, he laid out my speicific fears and how the dentist could help me deal with them. He also has a little 5 day exercise to help you get through the first appointment.

rp
 
The problem with emails is neither person can see facial expressions or hear tone of voice, so a lot gets missed.

For me, it was better to make a phone call, book a consultation meeting JUST TO TALK (I made that clear), and then once I got to the office, met the dentist face to face, I was able to tell him about my phobia/concerns/etc.

Using this process, I was quickly able to eliminate a lot of "cold" dentists who really didn't understand but finally I found one who is absolutely WONDERFUL! She even got up and gave me a big warm hug at the end of our meeting.
 
Back
Top