• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Contacted Dentist - hope 2nd time lucky

  • Thread starter Thread starter jenjen
  • Start date Start date
J

jenjen

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
83
Location
Staffordshire, UK
Contacted a dentist about 3 months ago, and although I told her I was nervous almost her first words were warnings of loose teeth that she said may or not need to happen. When I asked her to refer me to a periodontist (after reading this site) next thing I know is that I get a letter saying they won't treat me because I cancelled the appointment because I wanted to see the perio first.

Have decided to be brave and have gone to another dentist instead of sticking my head in the sand. I never thought I could make an appointment but I have done it, and am going to be so proud of myself when I've got there.

I had 2 other phobia's; driving and large social gathering. I've overcome both of and them and I am going to over come this. You can do anything if you're determined enough

Hope 2nd dentist is beter - sure they will be! So if you're thinking of making an appointment - don't delay - just do it!!
 
Well that's very unprofessional of her so you are probably well rid....I'd go straight to a perio if I were you...but at least with a new general dentist, you can say up front you'd like a perio referral and them as your new General Dentist.
She obviously took offence that you were questioning her judgement but you were completely within your rights..if she's talking about losing teeth because of gum problems, a perio is going to be the best one to sort that out....congratulations on getting straight back on the horse :grouphug:
 
Last edited:
Decided to contact husbands dentist (other one I contacted didn't call back!). He was really frightened (2 years of agony but been going regularly for a few years now) and they sorted him out. Wish I'd tried them in the first place! The dentist I did try was supposed to be a specialist in nervous people - think they need to rethink

And they have a periodontist at the practice which is hopefully good news.

Appointment is the 20th. Am going to explain what happened at previous dentist and ask them not to frighten me half to death initially by telling me what may happen

Fingers crossed all goes OK
 
Back
Top