• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long are you "out" under IV sedation??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Camisa
  • Start date Start date
Camisa

Camisa

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
209
Location
USA
I read on the main website that a typical IV sedation session lasts about 1 1/2 hours.... but is this the time that you are out or does this include recovery time?

My first IV sedation session involved a surgical extraction of 1 tooth and I was "out" for about 10 or 15 minutes.

I have to go and get 2 more simple extractions, plus 3 or 4 amalgam fillings ...... my insurance pays for 1 hour of sedation, and I would prefer being "out" for no longer than a half hour. Can these things be done more quickly while under IV sedation, or am I looking at a lot of time being under?? Should I schedule 2 separate sessions instead?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I need 2 separate IV sessions......... scared crapless again [smiley=ashamed.gif]
 
It depends on the treatment plan. Sometimes it is impossible (or irresponsible, say the least) to do everything in one session. You need to consult with your dentist according to your treatment plan.

There is another aspect that patients are not aware of: dentists do not like to work to long under sedation. Not in order to earn more money (by doing two sessions) but for very good reasons; as someone that treated people under sedation I can testify that the hall treatment is stressful for the dentist...!

For the record, I do not recommend sedation for phobic patients.

Good-luck with your treatments8-)
I hope that in the future you will treat the fear itself.
:grouphug:
 
Why do you not recommend sedation?

Also what is the "hall treatment" ??

Thanks a bunch.... :(
 
I think "hall treatment" is a translation error, for "whole treatment".
 
Thanks Gordon :)

Is Dr. Daniel right?? That it is irresponsible to do the entire treatment under sedation??

If I did do the whole thing , which my OS recommends, My OS will be doing the extractions then my dentist will be doing the amalgam fillings. I have 1 hour (preferrably less) to get it done under IV sedation. But if I will be under for over 45 mins, I would rather do it in two separate sessions, as my nervous systemis very hypersensitive to drugs.

I personally would do it awake if I could, but my fear is too great, and it resulted from being abused by a school teacher/school nurse as a child. They held me down and forced medicine in my mouth - pretty much otherwise known as been "bound and gagged" - then I developed a fear of medicine when I was cold turkeyed off of a benzodiazepine....... I so wish I could do it awake but I just can't. I feel very ashamed and embarrassed but I need the work done. [smiley=ashamed.gif]
 
Last edited:
For the record, I do not recommend sedation for phobic patients.

Good-luck with your treatments8-)
I hope that in the future you will treat the fear itself.
:grouphug:

Good luck finding a phobic patient who will get in your chair without it. It makes dental work possible for many of us and then as we learn to trust and build a relationship with a dentist and his staff, gain confidence, we can wean off the sedation. I used a combination with hynotherapy until i didn't need the sedation any more for most things. Its about getting the treatment who for many phobics has been ignored a long time. Making anyone tough that out in a "see you can do it apporach" is cruel and I personally wouldn't sign up for it. If that had been my only option when I started this journey- back to dental pain and bad teeth. .

Just my opinion but I'm getting propofol this morning for some heavy duty OS. Oh yeah and a Halcion to get me there, which I haven't used in the last 6months, see I don't know this surgeon beyond a consult.

rp
 
Not really, I think this is a case of the written word not conveying the idea properly, especially with the language barrier kicking in.

It could be somewhat unwise in some circumstances, depending on the treatment planned, there are some kinds of things that we don't like to do all at once, that are better done over a couple of appointments than in one go, for example a root canal and a crown on the same tooth. It's normally best to do these separately.

I'll have to agree to differ on the subject of sedation for phobic patients, it's one of the things that makes dentistry such a great profession, there is always more than one way to skin a cat :)





Thanks Gordon :)

Is Dr. Daniel right?? That it is irresponsible to do the entire treatment under sedation??

If I did do the whole thing , which my OS recommends, My OS will be doing the extractions then my dentist will be doing the amalgam fillings. I have 1 hour (preferrably less) to get it done under IV sedation. But if I will be under for over 45 mins, I would rather do it in two separate sessions, as my nervous systemis very hypersensitive to drugs.

I personally would do it awake if I could, but my fear is too great, and it resulted from being abused by a school teacher/school nurse as a child. They held me down and forced medicine in my mouth - pretty much otherwise known as been "bound and gagged" - then I developed a fear of medicine when I was cold turkeyed off of a benzodiazepine....... I so wish I could do it awake but I just can't. I feel very ashamed and embarrassed but I need the work done. [smiley=ashamed.gif]
 
Thanks everyone so much for your input!! I am not a big fan of being medicated and really dislike sedatives since I accidently got dependent on them a ways back, but I have to admit, even as someone who dislikes sedatives, I definitely need them for invasive dental work such as exctrations or work in the back of my mouth where I just gag and gag.

RP, how did your procedure go???? I hope you did well!! I am going to be having another Propofol IV sedation session for removal of three back molars plus excision of a gum flap.

actually I am looking forward to it because the pressure surrounding my weakened molar with a failed amalgam filling in it is becoming too intense, and chewing food on that side of my mouth is becoming difficult.

Never thought I'd look forward to surgery, heh.
 
I slept through the procedures- didn't know a thing till it was all over. The aftermath is another story- but I had some pretty extensive reconstructive surgery....it's in my journal.

rp
 
Back
Top