• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long does pain usually continue after a tooth extraction?

M

msgar01

I had a bottom right back molar extracted 5 days ago. This was my last resort after generalized extreme pain that encompassed the right side of my face and began the 2nd of July. The dentist initially prescribed pain killers. After two weeks, the pain had not gone away but I was able to pinpoint that it was radiating from the molar. I was prescribed an antibiotic for 7 days to see if treating infection would help the pain. The pain did subside but did not totally disappear. Five days ago, I had the tooth extracted. My dentist told me there was puss when he removed the tooth. Yesterday, I awoke in significant pain (right tonsil, right ear, right jaw, and cramping on the right side of my tongue). The gland under my tongue was swollen and cherry red. I went to Urgent Care (it was a Sunday) and was prescribed an antibiotic. Any advice on what else I can do to promote healing would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
I would say this varies from pt to pt, but I healed within a few weeks though my gums were sore and didn't have any pain.

You can rinse your mouth with slightly salted water, but do this very gently as you don't want to dislodge any clot that's formed, don't spit it out either instead try to let it fall out of your mouth, and take regular pain relief. You should soon find it healing nicely.

Back