• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how long is constant bleeding supposed to normally go on right after extraction?

Freyja

Freyja

it has been almost 2 hours now and I am still bleeding a fair bit and I am trying not to panic but yeah I have no idea how long this is meant to go on for. I have been changing gauze every 30 mins and yeah still a lot of blood..
sorry if this is a dumb question but is it usual for this to go on for so long?

Hi Freyja,

I hope you will get some relief..I'm not a dentist,but I can say there were a few times that it was lightly bleeding for up to 4-5 hours..enough to still have red blood but not soak it, but if it is heavily bleeding I would call the after hours number at least and talk to someone.

thank you :)
I will see how it is after 4 to 5 hours and will certainly call dentist if still bleeding. I don't know if I am overreacting though as it could be a bit of blood mixed with saliva, just not sure

Bleeding in mouth always looks like more than it is as it is mixed with saliva. I think it is ok to worry after and extraction and to have insecurities. Calling your dentist to check sounds like a good idea. From reading around it seems that bleeding is very individual thing, some people experience some bleeding even days or weeks after the extraction. Let us know how you get on.

Back