• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) Impacts (and does not impact) Dental Coverage in the US

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
How the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) Impacts (and does not impact) Dental Coverage in the US

I posted this information in response to some questions in the Dentistry Questions forum about what will (and won't) change about dental coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare). I consolidated the information and thought it might be better suited here in General, News, and Events.

For individuals with Commercial (purchased through an employer or as an individual) dental insurance:

Unfortunately, the changes to dental coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) will only impact children (and even then, only those covered under certain types of plans). Here is a very good fact sheet that clearly explains the changes that will occur for employer-based and self-insured health plans.

[broken link removed]

For individuals with Medicaid (Government insurance for low-income individuals -- funded partly by the federal government and partly by individual states):

And, here is information about how the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) will impact Medicaid members -- again, no change for adults (meaning that in many states -- states set their own standards for what is covered -- only cleanings, x-rays, and extractions are covered) no significant change in coverage for children.

The changes for children will be:

1. An expanded pool of children eligible for Medicaid (due to increased family income limits).
2. An expansion of school-based dental programs
3. The creation of new dentist-type professionals that will work in underserved areas providing a limited number of dental services.

Here is an article detailing how the Affordable Care Act will impact dental care for Medicaid members. It also spells out some of the reasons that various professional dental groups were for and against this legislation.

http://www.dp5th.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/nydental_201109.pdf (caution, pic on first page of teeth and dental instrument).

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) Impacts (and does not impact) Dental Coverage in the US

Due to the costs imposed by the health care act it is generally recognized as reducing future adult dental benefits that are already too low. As a small private employer who must handle all the paper work I have already had to fill out numerous forms to stay grandfathered in. These forms aren't simple or easy to understand.

Re: How the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) Impacts (and does not impact) Dental Coverage in the US

As a US citizen, I'm worried about the quality of care we will be receiving. From what I've read, NHS coverage is a hassle and often does rush jobs, has long waiting times, and shitty service. Do you think that the low cost of the government insurance will drive down private prices so low that dentists will feel like they have no incentive to do quality work or spend time with patients?

My father was on Medicare and it didn't seem like he got worse care than I did on private insurance.
And, don't forget, you CAN get private insurance (and you can get subsidys from the government if you make anywhere from 150% to 400% ABOVE the poverty level to help you pay your premium..............depends on your state I think).
I think Obamacare only covers medical insurance.................not dental.

My father was on Medicare and it didn't seem like he got worse care than I did on private insurance.

Medicare is different because every doctor has to accept patients on medicare. what im worried about is that it seems like obamacare insurance will be more like medicaid insurance, where if youre on it, you can only see dentists that will take it, and only the shady ones do... im worried that the cheap gov insurance will drive away private insurance for good and that the government will have an insurance monopoly that everyone will be forced to be on... and who knows how great the services will be when all of america has insurance....

I have always found it incredible that the US has no NHS type system. Im a social worker and I understand that folks are worried what the new health care law will mean. Change is hard and scary and this is major change such as the US has never known before.

As I read these posts, one of the themes that emerge is the question of quality of care. Is private insurance with their co-pays, deductibles, and other limtations provide better quality care than a government based program?
The answer is: it depens. It depens on who you ask, what their collectove health care experiences have been, what insurance plan they have, etc. Our current system is far from perfect and no health system is. Still, for whats it worth, I think that we would be wise to be mindful of painting the new health care law or any other government based health care proram with too broad a brush.

I know because I would not be alive today had it not been for a government based health care program. In 2006, I collaspsed at work in extreme pain in my lower pelvic region. I was doubled over, unable to sit up straight. I was rushed to the emergencyroom where an ultrasound discovered I had two massive tumors in my body. Further testing revealed them to be massive fibroids that were crushing my organs. As soon as my emplyer learned of this, I was terminated. There has never been a doubt in my mind that I was fired so my employer and their insurance company would not have to pay out for the major surgery I needed. A heartless move to be sure. When I hear people speak of the heartlessness of government based health care, Well, insurance companies can be just as heartless.
My life was saved by a program run by my state. They didnt turn me away. Moreover, the caseworker I was assigned too recognized the seriousness of my situation and pushed through my paperwork in half the normal time. Just 25 days after he received my case, I was in surgery. I had not one but two veteran surgeons working on me to remove the tunors from my body. Both of these dedicated doctors donate, yes DONATE their time and skill to this program to help people like me. I'm alive and well today because a government run program staffed by dedicated professionals cared.

So while its normal for us to be nervous about the changes coming, lets keep our prespective and give it a fair chance.

Back