Floss
Here's what you need to know about flossing:
- When you start, it hurts a little. And your gums will probably bleed a little.
- After a week or two, the bleeding stops. Forever.
- After a month, you'll master the technique, and it will take about 30 seconds.
You already know the rest. You know you're supposed to floss. You know it's good for your teeth and gums and general health, so you don't need any more nagging. My purpose isn't to nag you. If you never ever floss, you'll still be a good person and you'll still actually be in the majority of people who don't floss. It's okay not to floss.
But if you want to, or you want to try, here's how.
- Pick a time to floss every day. Make it a time when you're already brushing your teeth. I prefer just before bedtime, because I'm not rushed. In the morning I'm always tempted to skip because I'm running late, etc.
- Use nylon floss like Glide. It's easier than cotton floss.
- Start with one or two teeth. Seriously. Many of us have "problem spots" that we're worried about touching too much. And it takes some time to get good at flossing, and it's clumsy at first. So, floss between two teeth, and then stop. But do it every day.
- Add a couple of teeth when you're ready. Eventually you'll get the hang of flossing that one tooth, and you'll think, "I already have this floss wrapped around my fingers, so..."
- Keep doing it. If there's a tooth that hurts, or is too hard to get the floss into, just skip that. If you can't get your giant fingers into the very back of your tiny mouth, skip that. It's okay. Floss what you can, just to get the habit started.
- This is important: keep the floss out on your vanity counter, or next to the toothbrush, or someplace very visible. The floss should nag you a little bit. That night when you're tired and just want to skip it, it should be sitting there next to your toothbrush going, "C'mon, it'll only take a few seconds."
When I told my dentist I was going to start flossing as a New Year's resolution, she said, "Just try to do once or twice a week." But for me, weekly habits are hard to remember. Monthly habits, like changing the furnace filter, are darn near impossible. So, I flossed every day, just not completely. I literally just did a couple of teeth at first. It probably took about as long to floss those first couple teeth as it now does to do my whole mouth-- about 30 seconds. If I'd tried to do my whole mouth, it would have taken 5-10 minutes and I'd have quit. Do what you can in 30 seconds, and then congratulate yourself.
Yes, it hurts a little at first. Yes, your gums will bleed a bit. That's another reason not to start with your whole mouth. A little bleeding from one tooth is gross; a little from various spots all over your mouth is scary. For me, almost from the first day, the bleeding tapered off rapidly. The first day I had a bright red spot that stuck around even after I brushed. The next day, a little less. The tooth with the weakest gums took about a week to stop, but most of the others just did that for two or three days, if at all.
After about a week, your gums start getting really strong and healthy. If you're seeing your dentist for something, tell them about your flossing-- they'll compliment you and praise you and tell you how much better your teeth look already. It's a good motivator.
After about a month, you start getting good at it. You'll know which teeth are a little tough to get between, and how much force to apply to get the floss in there without smacking it against your gums. You'll develop a pattern-- I always start at the top in the middle and work my way back, and then repeat on the bottom. If you have a full set of 28, there's 13 spaces to floss on the top, and 13 on the bottom. You'll get so you can do each in about a second. It won't hurt at all, even a little bit, and nothing will bleed or be sore. Every time you pull a little particle of food out, you'll feel better that you cleaned it out yourself with your new habit.
I've tried to start a flossing habit before, and it never took. My old dentist told me, "floss in your spare time... have some in the glove compartment, and floss while you're at the red light." But the thing is, when you start flossing, you'll HATE it. So you'll start driving slow when you see a red light so you never have to stop and floss. Or you'll think about flossing but not when the floss is nearby. And, if you do start, you'll give up too soon. So, do it every day at the same time in the same place, and just as much as you can do in a very short amount of time.
I've been flossing daily for five months now. My gums look and feel so much better, and when I got my teeth cleaned after two months of daily flossing-- my first cleaning in over a decade-- the hygienist told me my teeth actually looked pretty healthy. When they asked that dreaded question, "Do you floss?" I proudly said, YES! (Actually, the flossing was the part of the cleaning I was worried most about. I figured if I did it myself to "build up a tolerance", it would make the cleaning easier. And it did!)
It's just part of my bedtime routine now. I yank out a length of floss, start in the middle of my top teeth, plink plink plink plink. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't bleed, it isn't uncomfortable. (I do always manage to get a big line of drool snaking down the floss and onto my index finger when I do the back teeth-- it's not all lollipops and rainbows!) I don't carry floss around with me everywhere, although I do have some in my desk at work for when I get a bit of something "leftover" from lunch. (And, because I floss nightly, this search-and-rescue effort is much less trouble than it was when I used to try to pick a sesame seed out of inflamed gums before...)
So, if you want to try flossing, do it at your own pace-- and not because you feel guilty! Do it as an experiment, a favor to yourself. And if you get discouraged, don't beat yourself up. Back off, or keep brushing and try again in a few months. Brushing also strengthens your gums, so if they're too tender to floss today, they'll probably complain less in six months.
And of course, the ultimate goal of all of us phobics-- flossing on your own means less time in the dreaded Chair!
Good luck and happy teeth!!


