• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I avoid the dentist for multiple reasons

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaxChatter
  • Start date Start date
M

MaxChatter

Junior member
Joined
Apr 21, 2026
Messages
1
Location
Pennsylvania
I haven't seen one in years. I have a new one picked out. But clearance from a primary physician is required. That's been an obstacle, but now with other medical problems and specialists I've leaped that barrier. But dental insurance coverage is a problem (they cover big corporate dental but little actual money), and I need a job to augment my income, working on that. But I'm also terrified of the dentist. Past dentists have been I guess frank about the need for regular care, but they lecture and lecture. I don't need to be blamed for my lack of care, aren't we past that? And other pressures on my time and life - family interferes for example. I want to do dental care in a big way, but assembling the parts is difficult. I'm almost to the point of consulting a therapist for my dental avoidance. (Therapist is free with this insurance.) I'm afraid of what the dentist will diagnose too. This whole issue is like a part of me I want to hide in the dark of night and wake up one morning with a solution. Which is a strategy that often works for problems, but the dentist is a very big and difficult fish. So - 1-job, 2-apply to dentist, 3-go. Make it happen.
 
Back
Top