• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I feel like it's never going to end even though I'm doing everything right

M

meesapanda

Hi all! I'm feeling really down right now. I started my dental journey a couple years ago when I went to the dentist after about 8 years of not going.

I have fillings on basically all of my teeth, and in the past two and a half years have had two root canals and one crown on a tooth that randomly broke. One of the root canals was done earlier this year when a deep filling failed. I'm now feeling pain and experiencing sensitivity in the same general area of that tooth and have the disgusting taste in my mouth I get when there's bad decay.

I don't understand...I had my cleaning in August and they said everything was looking okay. How can another tooth be this decayed this soon, and why didn't anything show up on the x-rays they took of the previously root canaled tooth?

I floss and brush my teeth twice a day diligently since all of this began. I have cut down on sugar and other bad-for-teeth foods like crazy. I just feel like no matter what I do I can't catch a break. I'm fearful that this is going to be another root canal/crown. I haven't really budgeted for another procedure and hate that I have to dip into savings. I just feel helpless. I don't know what else I can do. I feel like this is just going to be my life forever. Take nearly perfect care of my teeth...still have tons of issues anyway.

Thanks for reading.

Hmmmm.

Are things generally better?

I wish I had some encouragement or advice to share.

Unfortunately all I can offer are platitudes, however sincere :)

You have done well. You can be proud of true direct action you have taken, and the courage you have demonstrated.

Life is difficult and sometimes fate can be especially cruel to those taking action courageously (newly sober people, people fixing their teeth, those with cancer or Parkinson’s), while the lazy and indifferent coast through life.

Maybe the only solution is more courage, more action, more patience.

Hi,

While reading your story, I recalled couple of patients who also shared with me their frustration about having a never ending dental story. It can be tough. What you really need is one dentist who will stay responsible for your dental health. It does not mean this dentist can not refer you to others for specific treatments and second opinion, but there is always one person who know about your teeth as a whole. This person needs to stay responsible for your teeth for the long run.
Having a cavity/broken tooth/any dental issue is always multifactorial. There are so many factors which play a role, on some of them you have control (cleaning daily, diet, going routinely for a dental cleaning and check-ups) and on some you don't have control (quality of the saliva, a small stone in the salad in a Michelin 3 stars restaurant).

Hope it helped.

I am sorry you are going through this. I have learned that sometimes we are just unlucky. I have always had my 6 month cleanings, and have had every dentist I have gone to tell me I have great oral hygiene. In April, I had a crown replaced (from a broken tooth),which led to a root canal, which kicked off 8 months of dental agony. I had two root canals, an apicoectomy, a retreatment, an extra wisdom tooth removed, and ultimately two extracted molars. Now the root canal on my front tooth still hasn't settled, and my dentist is saying trigeminal neuralgia is a strong possibility, as I have random pain all in my mouth and up the side of my nose. Life definitely isn't fair sometimes. I feel like this is neverending also, so I can sympathize with you. I hope your dental journey ends soon!

Hi meesapanda,

really sorry what you are going through right now, this must be really overwhelming and I understand your doubt about wether things will get better for you one day.
Reading your post I am wondering wether you have been with the same dentist during the years and whether you could imagine trying an another dentist. I am aware that if you got used to a dentist and a practice it is very difficult to change, on the other hand I believe that a dentist should not only be able to fix your teeth but also be able to explain to you why things are happening and, most importantly, what to do to make sure they won't happen again. It must be very frustrating to hear that everything is ok and then, only few months later needing work done, especially if you work so hard for keeping your teeth healthy. :(

I will keep my fingers crossed for you not to have to go through an another root canal treatment or a crown, may your tooth just need a filling and may you then get a huge break from tooth issues.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Back