• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have a crippling fear of needles and couldn't get my wisdom teeth removed today

I

Interrobang3

I have a crippling fear of needles and couldn't get my wisdom teeth removed today

I was supposed to get my wisdom teeth removed this morning, and I had talked to my dentist beforehand and *thought* I had confirmed that the gas would knock me out and that a needle would only be administered after I was unconscious. I found out most of the way through inhaling the gas that the gas was just there to sedate me and get me relaxed and that the needle would still be administered while I was conscious. I freaked out and somehow found the willpower to sit up and remove the gas mask despite being pretty disoriented and tired from the gas. What followed was a lot of crying and emotional pain for me, but I ended up rescheduling the appointment.

My question is, is there any way to get wisdom teeth removed without the use of needles for sedation or anesthesia. A couple of years ago when I had to get my appendix taken out, I just inhaled some gas long enough to make me pass out. Is there any way I can have something like this for my wisdom tooth operation (and if not, why not)? I really cannot deal with needles (if they're poked into my body while I'm unconscious then, of course, I'm fine, but not while I'm aware it's happening).

Re: I have a crippling fear of needles and couldn't get my wisdom teeth removed today

Options:
1. Take a significant does of a sedative under direct supervision at the doctor's office first then get nitrous
2. Find a OMS that offer inhalation general anesthesia.

Re: I have a crippling fear of needles and couldn't get my wisdom teeth removed today

How easy is it to find someone that will do inhalation general anesthesia for wisdom teeth? Is that a common thing?

Possible not a whole lot of them but possible

Back