• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have a serious phobia involving fainting

S

Samira

I am absolutely scared of the dentist, I have a phobia that started out when I was really young. I had this dentist who was really nice but I always fainted everytime with her. My ears were ringing, black everywhere, weakness, headache and just passing out anywhere, thinking I was somewhere else. So from those appointments, my fears and phobias always followed me to every check up. Now, I have a different dentist so much more amazing than the other one. I always told her how I felt, which was absolutely scared. She must have had so much experience with phobic patients as she had lavender diffuser, jazz on etc. I never fainted from her because she literally just took a 2 minute look at my teeth. From that, the dentist smell vanished and I was feeling more confident and relaxed in the waiting room and the fact that it was a small dentist, I felt more comforted. Until, one dentist appointment with her resulted me into 11 minutes fainting and outside in the pouring rain. I needed this really easy painless filling (I don't know what it's called but it's white, easiest filling) and from that I fainted, so my phobia (which was decreasing over the time with her) finally did a huge increase. But now, from that traumatic experience, I am so set on eating healthy foods, as a teen, and absolutely no sweets. Now I feel this abnormality though because the filling is like cement and I can't eat there because I'm scared it will fall off and I need another filling. Please advise.

P. S. I really prefer to do this naturally with no sedatives etc.

Hi Samira,

It sounds like stress is the main inducer for your fainting. It could be that on the last filing you had everythingwent well but there was a specific moment that there was a pick level of sympathetic activity, maybe due to the adrenaline, maybe momentary sensation made you a bit scared.
After such an aversive experience you need to build up the trust inyour dentist and the situation but it is Much easier compared to someone who has not yet found their dentist.
Do you tend to faint in other situations other than the dentist?

Yes, I faint when there's a pain factor involving all doctor positions. I have a phobia of all things doctors and hospitals. Started from an operation when I was really young but I remember everything from it, strangely.

You could try asking your doctor to refer you for some CBT, cognitive behaviour therapy, or some hypnosis, both of which could be helpful.

You could try asking your doctor to refer you for some CBT, cognitive behaviour therapy, or some hypnosis, both of which could be helpful.

thanks for advice ???

I second the idea of CBT. A therapist might help you to analyze what exactly triggers the fainting. There are methods used for this kinds of reactions. A therapist can help you to learn to recognize the critical moment before you faint and teach you how to activate your system to prevent that from happening. In this way you can get more in charge about what is happening and control it. I can't even imagine how awful it must be to be fainting like this.
What I wouldn't recommend is trying to tackle it on your own as every bad experience might make your fears worse. There are professionals who would be happy to help you with that.

I second the idea of CBT. A therapist might help you to analyze what exactly triggers the fainting. There are methods used for this kinds of reactions. A therapist can help you to learn to recognize the critical moment before you faint and teach you how to activate your system to prevent that from happening. In this way you can get more in charge about what is happening and control it. I can't even imagine how awful it must be to be fainting like this.
What I wouldn't recommend is trying to tackle it on your own as every bad experience might make your fears worse. There are professionals who would be happy to help you with that.

thank you so much, I will surely look into this ?

Samira,

This sounds really intense with the fainting, past experiences and all the thoughts.. I would be nervous too walking into or even thinking about going.. I do think there is alot of good support out there now both for anxiety outside and inside of dental offices. I went to CBT and it helped me alot with my anxiety so I can vouch for that. :).. I also love Enaretes answer and especially not tackling it on your own.. I wish you the best in finding the right resources and help

Samira,

This sounds really intense with the fainting, past experiences and all the thoughts.. I would be nervous too walking into or even thinking about going.. I do think there is alot of good support out there now both for anxiety outside and inside of dental offices. I went to CBT and it helped me alot with my anxiety so I can vouch for that. :).. I also love Enaretes answer and especially not tackling it on your own.. I wish you the best in finding the right resources and help

thanks a bunch, really going to follow the advice ??

Back