• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have dental anxiety and I need a root canal! HELP

K

kaybee

When my oral surgeon pulled my wisdom teeth, he broke my jaw. At least I was knocked out so I didn't feel anything, but ever since then I have been traumatized. A few years ago I went back for a cavity filling. I had so much anxiety that I couldn't even walk into the office/waiting room so my mom called and told them I was sick. Of course, we had to re-schedule so the second time around, I barely slept, I woke up shaking, but I went and I went through the procedure, but I was crying and my mom had to sit next to me and hold my hand while they filled my cavity. I was 18 at the time so it was extremely embarrassing. My dentist is aware of my broken jaw issue and I think he could see my fear when I went in for the cavity filling, but it's been about three years and I went back for the first time because my gums were bothering me and I didn't think I'd need any big surgery. I was pretty much okay because I knew it was just a checkup, but then I found out I have to get a root canal done and they might not be able to save my tooth so they might have to just pull it.

I have to go see an endodontist so they can check my nerves and whatnot and see if the tooth can be saved. That appointment is next week. I'm not so scared about that appointment, but I am absolutely terrified for the root canal. If I could barely sit through a cavity filling (which I'm surprised I did. I literally thought I would die.) how do I sit through a root canal? Doesn't a root canal take an hour? Maybe more? Also, I'm not expecting any sedation, laughing gas, general anethesia, etc, because I know that it's not normally routine for them to use it for a root canal, but I will ask. Also, if any type of sedation or laughing gas costs extra and my insurance won't cover it, I definitely cannot afford it.

What do I do? How am I supposed to get through this?

EDIT: I'm 21 now and I've been living at home, commuting to school so technically I could still hold my mom's hand....but at 21? That's just humiliating. :(

I'm 23 and I had my mom come to the dentist with me yesterday to get 6 extractions! So don't be embarrassed about that! I've never had a specifically traumatizing experience at the dentist like you but I have always been terrified of them. It's taken me until this year to get up the courage to get work done. My advice is to not put it off! I let my teeth get to point were I had to have 6 teeth pulled on the top ( including 3 in the front) and a partial put in just because I was too scared to get work done before it got this bad. It sounds like you have some good support from your mom so use that! I don't think I could have made myself do it without my family and boyfriend supporting me the whole time and not letting me chicken out! Just try not to think about it, I know that's way easier said than done but it helps. Letting yourself stress about it will just make it worse. I also highly, HIGHLY suggest getting the nitrous (laughing gas) if there's any way you can! If you're as anxious sitting in that chair as I am it is sooo worth the cost! My dentist was actually really sweet and amazing and gave it to me at a discount because she knew how much I needed it. I know it's a lot harder when you're working with insurance, but try to get it if you can, it is a life saver! Just try not to let yourself think or worry about it before the appointment. Have your mom come with you and don't be embarrassed about it! That's what moms are for! :) and just remember that you will most likely be saving yourself from having to have much more invasive work done later! Good luck, I'm sure you'll feel fantastic after its all done!

When my oral surgeon pulled my wisdom teeth, he broke my jaw. At least I was knocked out so I didn't feel anything, but ever since then I have been traumatized. A few years ago I went back for a cavity filling. I had so much anxiety that I couldn't even walk into the office/waiting room so my mom called and told them I was sick. Of course, we had to re-schedule so the second time around, I barely slept, I woke up shaking, but I went and I went through the procedure, but I was crying and my mom had to sit next to me and hold my hand while they filled my cavity. I was 18 at the time so it was extremely embarrassing. My dentist is aware of my broken jaw issue and I think he could see my fear when I went in for the cavity filling, but it's been about three years and I went back for the first time because my gums were bothering me and I didn't think I'd need any big surgery. I was pretty much okay because I knew it was just a checkup, but then I found out I have to get a root canal done and they might not be able to save my tooth so they might have to just pull it.

I have to go see an endodontist so they can check my nerves and whatnot and see if the tooth can be saved. That appointment is next week. I'm not so scared about that appointment, but I am absolutely terrified for the root canal. If I could barely sit through a cavity filling (which I'm surprised I did. I literally thought I would die.) how do I sit through a root canal? Doesn't a root canal take an hour? Maybe more? Also, I'm not expecting any sedation, laughing gas, general anethesia, etc, because I know that it's not normally routine for them to use it for a root canal, but I will ask. Also, if any type of sedation or laughing gas costs extra and my insurance won't cover it, I definitely cannot afford it.

What do I do? How am I supposed to get through this?

EDIT: I'm 21 now and I've been living at home, commuting to school so technically I could still hold my mom's hand....but at 21? That's just humiliating. :(
I know your pain well not really cause I've never had a dentist to break my jaw but I am absolutely terrified of dentist but I can assure you that a root canal doesn't hurt they numb it and it doesn't take that long I was in and out of the office and I had a root canal and multiple fillings as well. They numb it with multiple shots and to me that's what hurts the most. Usually the dentist won't do sedation or laughing gas for a root canal. I don't think it costs extra tho. Just close your eyes. Everything will be okay. I wish you the best of luck. Oo and I make my mom go back into the dentist room with me and I'm 19 so yea and I will admit I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I had a similar experience and was totally traumatized when my top wisdom teeth came out 7 years ago. In fact, I haven't been back to the dentist SINCE because it was THAT bad. Last week I had to get my bottom ones out and I was shaking and even crying in the chair, like a baby! I'm in my mid 30's! so don't be embarassed, there's worse! (me) :)
A root canal is nothing in comparison. I had that done a long time ago too and they put a crown on my tooth. It's actually much LESS painful than the whole wisdom tooth ordeal!

I used to go through the same things. I'm 18 and I hate dentists beacuse of bad experiences.I asked my mum to come with me just to be there for me. It feels good to know you have someone you trust in the room. She actually sat for the whole hour watching. I had a different dental surgeon advise me on what to do. I needed a root canal in my front tooth and trust me I was petrified.I had booked the appointment for thursday but my mum changed it for today because she was worried I'll back out. So I read about the process so that I could guess what he was doing in mouth. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only non-good part(not very bad) was when he was pushing the filling into the canal.He put to much of pressure. He told me to take stilpain(prescribed) afterward. It's been 5 hours so far and I don't feel any pain. the numbness has worn off and I have only taken the stilpain from the afternoon(1 in this 5 hours). The only disadvantage is that you get restless because it takes an hour to finish it.

What I recommend you do:
-Close your eyes but relax your forehead mostly
-Don't look at the equipment(They scare me I don't know if they scare you to)
-Read about the procedures. Look at pictures on the internet.DON'T read about what can go wrong.
-If you're really scared ask for an additional injection.
-If you feel any type of pressure hold tight onto the arms of the chair/bed
-It's ok if you feel scared. Crying a little(just letting tears drop) calmed me down a little
-When you're done smile at yourself to see what has been achieved.Trust me it's a motivation for another dentist visit.

Hope this helps;)

Back