• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I no longer trust my teeth

S

soup_eater

I haven't seen a dentist in over 25 years due to extreme fear of anyone in the medical profession, needles and instruments. I think my teeth have weathered the neglect fairly well so far and I have never really experienced any pain during that time. However, about a month ago my bottom front teeth felt like something was stuck between them. I tried to get it out with my tongue and fingernails first. When that didn't work i started poking at it with a wooden skewer. Something tiny came off, it was brown/black-ish and hard as stone.

Since then my front teeth haven't felt the same. One of them feels like it's sticking out (in reality it's sticking inward a bit) and clashes with the top teeth when biting. The teeth have an uncomfortable (but not painful) throbbing/tingling sensation at times and the gum at the back of the affected tooth feels sensitive and a bit rough when I run my tongue over it.

I've also noticed a small white pimple-like bump on the front of the gum, maybe half an inch under the tooth, and some redness on the gum around the next tooth.

I have been hesitant to bite on anything hard using those teeth, for fear that they will break off or fall out. I've been eating less food (not necessarily a bad thing) as a result.

I have emailed a dentist that seems to have an interest in treating nervous patients. Now I am waiting for them to respond and I'm dreading the day when I will inevitably have to deal with a dentist. In the meantime i hope someone can assure me that I have nothing to worry about :)

Thanks

I've been going through my own dental journey, but I've done my dental visits religiously every 6 months my whole life. My teeth seem to be having one issue after another despite all this, and I look for soft foods now because I'm scared to use them as teeth.

I get so shaky and nervous every time I go in, but I do 2 things to help. I promise myself afterwards some reward, and I strongly advocate for myself when I'm in the chair, to the point of probably being annoying.

I hope you find a dentist with compassion for what you are feeling. Communicating your fears and seeing how they respond is a good first step.

Dear soup-eater,

It is wonderful to read you made an appointment. I am certain this dentist will improve your quality of life. I would suggest sharing with this dentist the fact that you have not been to the dentist for many years and the triggers you find difficult.

All the best,
Daniel

Back