• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I really need your help...

S

sarah23

Hi ..
Always follow the posts of this forum but I had never decided to write. My name is Sarah and I have since childhood fear of dentits and needles. The fatal step whenever you have to get tested, buff even days before going'm anxious.

I know it's silly but I can not control. My partner helps me a lot and tries to reassure me ... basically I am ashamed to behave well. One day I even passed out in a blood.

I've always been avoiding the maximum of these situations, but I can not! I'm terrified because I need to go to the dentistt next month. I'll have to undergo many tests and likely to inject anaesthetic.

What I can do? Anybody with the same problem?

Thanks a lot in advanced

Hi ..
Always follow the posts of this forum but I had never decided to write. My name is Sarah and I have since childhood fear of dentits and needles. The fatal step whenever you have to get tested, buff even days before going'm anxious.

I know it's silly but I can not control. My partner helps me a lot and tries to reassure me ... basically I am ashamed to behave well. One day I even passed out in a blood.

I've always been avoiding the maximum of these situations, but I can not! I'm terrified because I need to go to the dentistt next month. I'll have to undergo many tests and likely to inject anaesthetic.

What I can do? Anybody with the same problem?

Thanks a lot in advanced

This is such a common fear, I think we all have it. Before you receive an injection from the dentist, they put a topical on your gum, you don't feel it. At the very most, it's a small pinch, lasting maybe 2 seconds. I never look at the needle. I had such a fear of needles, it kept me from the dentist for years. I do have to say, a tooth ache or abscess is 1000 times worse than the tiny pinch of the needle. Discuss your fears with your dentist. They are so used to hearing patients don't like the injection. Maybe he/she can put your fears to rest. Best of luck!!

I have a huge fear of dental needles- to the extent that I've never had one because I'll refuse it every time!

I highly recommend emailing them from personal experience! :) you therefore can explain your nerves- and you don't even have to talk to them face to face! It's so reassuring and just makes the appointment so much easier!
When you're there, they'll then understand how you are feeling!
also you could ask them to talk you through what they're doing- then you know they won't go to put a needle in you without your consent first :)

hope this helps x :XXLhug:

Hi Sarah. Needle phobia is horrible, quite a few people have a 'passing out' reaction - some of us are more prone to have that but you can work on it so it's much less likely to happen. Often, like in my case, it's made much worse by bad experiences over the years, I had some difficult things as a kid, don't know whether that applies to you but I will say that in the past few years when i've been trying to tackle my phobia I've met nothing but kindness and patience from docs and now a dentist. After loads of therapy and some meds I finally managed to have dental injections a couple of weeks ago, still can't believe I managed it and , believe me, if I can get to that stage, anyone can. I'm still a long way from being "cured" but can honestly tell you that the reality of an injection is just nothing compared to the fear of it. Do you have problems with your teeth right now? I'd agree with speaking with your dentist before the day of your appointment, or your doctor may be able to help too - either with meds to calm you down a bit (if that's something you might be comfortable with) or talking therapy etc - though obviously that's not an immediate fix.
Best of luck to you :clover: you'll feel brilliant if you can start to tackle this and posting on here's a great first step.

Hi again!

Thank you so much! Seriously, it is nice to know I am not the only one with this problem...

Has any of you used the Phobious treatment? Do you have any opinions about it? According to their website, it is a reliable and cheap way to treat phobias...

Just had a quick look at the phobious website. It looks like it gradually exposes you to your phobia triggers. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have worked for me as I needed a lot of support in understanding at all the stuff behind my phobia before being ready to even begin exposure work. Doesn't mean it won't work for you though but I would be careful as I'd think self-guided exposure could make things worse rather than better if it's done too quickly and without good support. I had CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) over a few months. Are you in the UK? I did get my CBT through the NHS though it was after a waiting list of 6 mnths or so. You can get it privatley but it can be pretty expensive. One thing you do learn is not to feel silly and ashamed, it's just a thing you have and you can gradually learn ways to deal with it, thought it takes a lot of time and effort. Others might have other methods of 'therapy' etc that have helped them it's prbably quit eindividual what works for you. I still can't yet begin to tackle things like blood samples so if you can do this already, even though it makes you feel faint, etc, you might not be as far away from dealing with other needle procedures as you think.
I've literally just got back from another filling with an injection and now feel like :jump::jump::jump: it's a feeling i recommend ;D whatever it takes to get you there, you won't regret tackling it.

'scuse typing, still a bit sedated :redface:

Hello, there. Thank you for sharing your concerns. If I may contribute as well, I would like to share my thoughts also. It's okay, in fact, even normal, to have fears, because that shows you're human, and you start to overcome them by first acknowledging & confronting them. It's just that we don't want to dwell on them too much and allow them to dominate our minds because that's not healthy. However, there's nothing wrong with experiencing anxiety per se. Don't worry, you're doing great, and you're going to be just fine :p!

As far as needles go, allow me to share some important advice & tips that I believe will help you out tremendously :). Please note that I'm not a dentist, only a patient; but this info. is based on my experiences, what I've researched on the Internet, and the comments other kind & thoughtful members posted on the Dental Fear Central forum. Everyone's perception of pain is somewhat different, so it's not easy to measure it objectively, but as you'll find out, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the procedure can be.

First off, before you receive a dental injection (which isn't required for every single visit but is necessary only for certain procedures such as fillings), they may administer some nitrous oxide to calm your nerves & relax you, and you can ask around to find out which dentists offer this service. (I've never had it, but it sounds like a Godsend.) Next, the assistant will place a soft cotton swab with a topical numbing gel onto your gums for at least a couple of minutes. This will numb the surface tissue before they do the actual injection. If they don't provide the gel at the outset, don't be afraid to ask for it; they'll definitely help you out w/ that! Sometimes they just forget to apply it, so you may have to remind them politely!

After that, the hardest part comes next :(, but don't fear, you'll get thru this stage, and it'll be over before you know it :rolleyes:. The dentist will slowly & gently perform the injection, which doesn't last very long. (While you're lying in the chair, it's easy to lose perception of time
:hmm:, so a few moments can seem like a long time, but don't get distressed!) Before you get too anxious about this step, you can be assured that a competent & caring dentist will be very gentle and can give an injection painlessly (or almost so). They use sharp, thin, 27- or 30-gauge needles. (The higher the number, the thinner the needle, which makes for a comfortable injection.) While a sharp needle may sound painful, it's quite the opposite: a sharp needle will easily penetrate & pass thru the tissues, whereas by contrast, a dull needle will cause more pain. This is why after use, a dentist will remove the needle from the syringe and dispose of the needle entirely.

This is where the numbing gel (mentioned above) comes into effect. Thankfully, it minimizes the feeling from the initial prick of the needle. (Some patients report they don't feel a thing at all :).) Even w/o the gel, the needle causes only a mild, short pinching sensation, but it's still great to have the gel in place beforehand. Don't worry; the dentist will delicately advance the needle into the tissues, which may produce just a small amount of discomfort, perhaps 1-2 sec. It seems that the most sensitive spot is on the surface, so once the needle is properly positioned beneath the surface, regardless of how deep it's inserted (which for most injections is a shallow depth), it won't hurt anymore. Trust me, it's not bad at all. In fact, the dentist may wiggle or shake your lip or cheek to distract you from the pinch where you may not even notice it.

Most importantly, the dentist will give you a slow injection, which is the most crucial step. A quick injection will produce more pain because the medication is being rapidly forced into your mouth, which can tear the tissues and cause unnecessary soreness. A slow injection will be a lot more comfortable, which should take 2-3 mins. max. Gradually, you'll feel that part of your mouth start to go numb, like it's "gone to sleep." If the dentist has to re-inject in the same general area to numb it further, you shouldn't feel it since your mouth will already be numb. Avoid the negative connotation associated w/ words like "shot" and instead think of the liquid as gradually & gently sinking in, drop by drop. Also, picture the syringe as an instrument of healing
:redface:, which is what it really is; and the hollowed needle is nothing more than an avenue or method of delivery for the medicine.

To cope with the process, I would suggest closing your eyes, taking slow & deep breaths, and thinking about something else (e.g., a pleasant vacation at the beach :cool:). The reason I suggest keeping your eyes closed is so that you won't see the needle & freak out! It looks like a scary tool
:scared:, but believe me, it's not painful :nod:. Your dentist may talk to you during this time to distract you further, but even if he/she doesn't, you'll still be fine. Try not to worry about it too much. The dentist isn't the enemy, but rather your friend :grin: because they want to help you by performing a valuable service for you, and the biggest obstacle is in your mind, so it's mostly psychological; but once you've walked into the room and sat in the chair, you'll realize you've made such great strides and feel proud of your achievement! Make the effort to look beyond any minor discomfort you may experience at the beginning and focus on the end result of anesthesia: complete numbness, which is better than having no anesthetic at all! You can overcome this hurdle like others (including myself) have, and in the end, you'll have a wonderful success story to tell :jump:!

Finally, remember to cooperate kindly w/ the dentist by holding still and following all their instructions. If you feel any pain :o during the drilling part, etc., raise your hand immediately
:stop: to signal the dentist to stop right away so they can give you more numbing solution. (You may want to discuss stop signals w/ your dentist beforehand so they'll know what to look for.) As long as you're numbed sufficiently, you won't feel any pain during the remainder of the operation. It's important to trust the dental staff entirely because they're professionals, they've done this before, and most likely they've been doing it for a long time.

Ironically, for a long time, I had a difficult time believing for myself everything I just told you. As a young child, I had some basic dental work done at different appointments, and each time, I hated the needles. Again, my dentist wasn't mean or harsh at all. (In fact, after the operations, he bragged on me to my mom and stated I "did great.") It's just that I didn't want to feel any pain, even though in actuality it was mild & tolerable. As a kid, I didn't think of pain in terms of degree like adults do, but I just didn't want to experience it at all :cry:! Thankfully, it was recently that on here I was able to overcome my fears because when I asked how injections were, others replied that they were painless, which made me feel so relieved ;D! (You can check out my other posts if you'd like.)

Personally, I don't think I've dealt w/ dental phobia in an extreme or technical sense, but like other patients, I've felt a moderate level of anxiety, which is perfectly fine. In fact, before I go to the office, I usually take prescription Ativan to put me at ease. Take heart, you're in very good company here, and we'll help you along the way
:XXLhug:. God bless.

I started reading the (i'm sure v helpful :)) post above and started to have a strong vasovagal reaction (start of a faint) because of the details described of an actual injection. I'd suggest only 'exposing' yourself to as much info as you can cope with at any moment in time without totally freaking yourself out or it can actually increase your phobia as you may develop a heightened fear of the phobic/fainting reaction itself if you don;t have enough 'tools' to deal with it at present. :giggle: Needle phobia is different to other forms of phobias in that it's much more often so linked with the fear of the fainting reaction and feeling of loss of control that may go with that.

*slinks off to make a nice calming cuppa* ;D

I started reading the (i'm sure v helpful :)) post above and started to have a strong vasovagal reaction (start of a faint) because of the details described of an actual injection. I'd suggest only 'exposing' yourself to as much info as you can cope with at any moment in time without totally freaking yourself out or it can actually increase your phobia as you may develop a heightened fear of the phobic/fainting reaction itself if you don;t have enough 'tools' to deal with it at present. :giggle: Needle phobia is different to other forms of phobias in that it's much more often so linked with the fear of the fainting reaction and feeling of loss of control that may go with that.

*slinks off to make a nice calming cuppa* ;D

Thank you for your comments; I'm sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant occurrence, even though I'm sure you didn't intend for it to happen. While I can't relate to it, I want to be sympathetic and provide support. Please understand that it's my purpose & intent to help people cope w/ their fears, and that includes needle phobia. Not everyone will pass out, become sick, etc., so my suggestion is not to read any details as in my previous post if you think it will lead to a negative physiological
reaction because, as you stated, reading them may actually heighten the fear & accompanying symptoms, although not everyone will encounter that. My method is a form of desensitization (which some dentists also utilize) in which people learn about dental injections and become exposed to a description of them (and later one or more actual injections) not only to educate them but to help them see the situation objectively, enabling them to overcome their phobias one step at a time. It's only as patients learn about the process and know what's really going on that they can begin to view it in a positive light and have a pleasant experience. I first posted my comments (to which you referred above) in another thread, and the member to whom it was directed said it helped lessen their anxiety. However, if you feel that it will only exacerbate fainting spells, or anything else for that matter, then I would suggest talking to your doctor or dentist about anti-medication anxiety if you haven't already done so (which, as I stated, I take Ativan as necessary to calm & relax my nerves). Trust me, it can be hard to recondition & readjust one's mind psychologically, but while it may be difficult, it's not impossible. Instead, we have to replace false & inaccurate mindsets w/ perceptions based on a firm grasp & acceptance of the facts and avoid the temptation to over-analyze or fixate on minor details (although I'm not in any way implying that you're fixating or dwelling on it too much, so don't get me wrong, but I know I've done it in the past and had to get out of the habit of doing it). Please understand that I'm not trying to lecture you in any way, so I hope you're not offended. I'm on the same basic level as everyone else, so in no way am I somehow "above" anyone or better than them. The problem you described cannot be overcome by willpower alone, but it may require medication and counseling to restore your body to the way it should properly function, so I would encourage you to consider those avenues if you haven't yet. If there's anything I can do on here to help you further, please let me know. God bless :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back