• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm extremely depressed because of my teeth! I need to see a dentist. Very urgent but i'm scared!

M

maddy222

I'm extremely depressed because of my teeth! I need to see a dentist. Very urgent but i'm scared!

I'm 14 and my teeth are really horrible. On the top left side on my chewing teeth I have a little hole, then some cavities at the very back ( great, the very back. ) On the top right side I have a HUGEE hole that has spread to TWO of my chewing teeth. Its black. Both of the holes are painful at times. And sensitive. Root canals, here I come? Oh my god I can't deal with this. And also my VERY back molar is missing the whole back side, so its very sharp. Oh yeah, the tooth next to my left front tooth has a chip off the tip as well. I neglected my teeth, and I am regretting this soooo much, I never knew all this would happen ( I'm stupid, I know. )

So anyway, I know I have to go to the dentist so I took some orajel out of our bathroom cabinet. ( This was a few minutes ago ) I put it along my gums and tongue. The minute I felt myself going numb I started having a panic attack. I scrubbed the stuff off, ran downstairs and drenched my mouth in water ( which made it worse LOL ) I felt like I couldnt breathe, and my mouth was very dry and wouldn't salivate. Anyway, I waited out the worst numb part, and now its not numb at all. How am I going to deal with being fully numb!? I don't care about the needle, its the numb feeling! And I feel VERY sick when i'm hungry. I won't be able to eat for hours!
What if I need to go to the bathroom during the appointment? This is a big issue for me, as I have this bowel issue. It really sucks, and this is keeping me from going to the dentist actually.

Also, one more thing. When I open my mouth, my jaw makes this clicking sound. If I keep my mouth open for like 10 seconds it starts to feel very uncomfortable. I have no clue what this is, my mom has the clicking sound to. She has her whole life, her mouth even got STUCK open once. How can I keep my mouth open for like half an hour, or 2 hours if I need a root canal!? Somebody please help!!!!

Re: I'm extremely depressed because of my teeth! I need to see a dentist. Very urgent but i'm scared

Hello again maddy

Do you have a dentist appointment, or you know you will have to go to the dentist because of what is going on inside your mouth?

Having to go to the loo can catch a lot of us by surprise at times, and no one would expect you not to go and just let nature take it's course, so if you feel you need to have a 'comfort break' then let the dentist know. It is more natural than having to be excused to take a call from your mobile phone if that helps put it in perspective, and we all know how often people do that nowadays ;)

Your dentist needs to know about all of the things that worry you, and just because you are 14 years old, it doesn't mean that your concerns should be 'poo pooed' by anyone. Do your parents know exactly how you feel with regards to numbing etc? I am normally better at putting down in black and white how I am feeling, and what my worries and fears are, than actually speaking them out loud.

So what I would suggest to you, is that you write down all of the things that are spinning around in your head, say to your mum or whoever is going to be helping you through this, that you need to show them something, and that you are being serious.

Hopefully, this will do the trick, and you will be able to get to, and get through your appointments and have a healthy mouth and a happy maddy :)

Take care sweetie, and I hope you get the help that you need.

Kim

Re: I'm extremely depressed because of my teeth! I need to see a dentist. Very urgent but i'm scared

Hello maddy,
I know what you mean about the bathroom worry, as I have IBS and stress makes it worse. I have found getting an early morning appointment helps because then I don't have to stress about it all day beforehand. I put it on the "medical details" form I had to fill in at the surgery, so they do know about it, which also helps. Surprisingly, in all the visits I have made to the surgery, I've never had to use the bathroom ( I think concentrating on what the dental surgery staff are doing actually takes my mind off what my digestive system is doing and you may well find the same happens with you) but I've seen lots of other people make a dash for the bathroom as soon as they walk in the door, and honestly, no-one bats an eyelid. Just remember, it ain't your fault! Some of us are made like this. Maybe it's the price we pay for being perfect in other ways (I WISH).
Kim's suggestion about writing everything down is a great one.
Wishing you the best.:XXLhug:

Back