• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate partial denture not fitting? Day 8.

M

Marty23

So I got immediate partial dentures fitted. For my 2 front teeth which were extracted 8 days ago . As I said I'm on day 8 and they still don't fit and the swelling is now down to a minimum so it is not because of swelling.

They were fitting ok the last few days but I have had them out most of the time the last 2 days. (I have started to eat more and I sleep with them out) I have to take them out to eat.... Don't think I'll EVER be able to eat with them in. I'm getting implants ASAP.

Anyway they are upper ones, and they simply just seem one sided, all along the right side is a nice fit and the left side is extremely loose?

What could be causing this?
Can this be sorted in the dentist if I go tomorrow?

I really am getting completey sick of this whole thing. I truely believe dentures will NEVER work for me. I'm only 23 and this week has been absolute hell I am depressed and haven't left the house in 3 weeks.

Please tell me this can be fixed at the dentist? I'm seriously losing all hope to the point where I might just have to go abou my life with no front teeth and wait for implants.

Yeah, the dentist can adjust these things. Even if they have to take the denture away for a couple of days to get it remoulded a little (this happened with my full top denture), they should be able to get it workable for you. Don't be afraid to tell your dentist it's not working for you right now!

Hi sevena,

Thank you for the reply!

I went on the second day as they fell out and haven't really fitted since and all she said to be was about adhesive. That doesn't really give me hope...

She just simply does not seem to care. Especially when I have a holiday in 3 weeks, I need to feel comfortable or I swear I will cancel it!

I'll contact the dentist and let you know how I get on :) I will report back to this thread.

Marty

Last edited:
The dentist should be able to adjust and add plastic to it so it fits

The dentist should be able to adjust and add plastic to it so it fits

Thank for the reply comfort dentist.

I went on the second day and she told me to just use adhesive. But 8 days on in thinking it's definitely time for a trip back to see if they can modify it somehow to suit me better. I'm ringing them after lunch to book an appointment for tomorrow, hopefully this can be sorted!

The more they keep throwing me away without anything being done st all when I call in with problems, the more chance I will have to change dentist.

Thanks!

Thank for the reply comfort dentist.

I went on the second day and she told me to just use adhesive. But 8 days on in thinking it's definitely time for a trip back to see if they can modify it somehow to suit me better. I'm ringing them after lunch to book an appointment for tomorrow, hopefully this can be sorted!

The more they keep throwing me away without anything being done st all when I call in with problems, the more chance I will have to change dentist.

Thanks!

Everyone has problems and complications of treatment but not everyone handles those issues appropriately. This I think is the main cause of lawsuits. Today I sedated a patient and she said afterwards that she loved me and was stuck with me. At the start she was panicky and had tears okay fine but the real issue was her last dentist who had tried to sedate her with oral drugs twice and totally failed twice but charged her more than I had charged her to sedate her intravenously. The old dentist was also planning to charge her a third time to try to sedate her with a different combination of pills. She had asked her to send her x-rays to me three weeks ago and she still hadn't.

You got mail :)

I really hope they will do something for you.
Wishing you al the best!
But yep, if all they suggest is glue and they don't listen I don't know what else I would do aside from see another dentist. I can't stand dentists who don't listen yet they see to be common unfortunately.
The silly thing is your plate fits great on one side and completely not on the other - that shouldn't be happening.

Your team did well! :)

Oh I feel so bad! I checked the footie results and then realised I had seen a local team and their colours winning..happens ot be the same colour as your team....my apologies!! I know the offside rule but to get the wrong team!! Gaah! *slaps own forehead multiple times!!!!!!*

How did you get on at the dentist?

Oh I feel so bad! I checked the footie results and then realised I had seen a local team and their colours winning..happens ot be the same colour as your team....my apologies!! I know the offside rule but to get the wrong team!! Gaah! *slaps own forehead multiple times!!!!!!*

How did you get on at the dentist?

Hi Suz,

Yesterday and today have been better! Somehow i have managed to get a nice decent fit at the moment both the right side and the LEFT! :) Not perfect i don't think but nice and firm.

I was on my way to the dentist and for some strange reason i just felt the denture 'tightening' up... I think it was basically slipping into the right place it was always supposed to. I think this happened by luck, so that meant the denture made a liar out of me to the dentist. I was in and out in a matter of minutes, she informed me that my denture is fitting better (which it is) and my gums and extraction site is healing perfectly!

Due to this i was happy enough that it was fitting far better than it ever was so i left, and kept it in the rest of the night until i went to bed and I slept last night without it. I woke up today and had to start my night shifts. I work as a security controller in a control room so i am on the phones quite a lot and i work 12 hour shifts! I had food when i woke up and then put my dentures in, at the start it was back to the way it was and would not fit and flapped down due to the amount of saliva around my gums, then as i was experimenting i pushed it backwards and upwards at the same time and it seemed to have worked! That was at 16:00 and it is now 22:00 and it has been firm ever since! So i am happy about that :) I think its going to take a while to learn how to put them in properly, if it can work like this twice then it can all the time!!!

I still have not tried to eat with them in even to it is nice and firm and not wobbly at all.. i'm too scared as i am on shift until 06:00am! I don't want to risk it so i am currently sitting here starving with 8 hours to go! I will eat like a horse when i am home then take them in and out until i get used to it and once i have it perfected and they stay in i will attempt to eat with them in. I really hope i can master this for my holiday and i will be really happy. I hope this isnt all down to luck and they are actually starting to fit now.

Now... my bite, my bottom teeth still hit off the front part and my back teeth still dont meet, i dont think this will change. I will have to eat slow and just try not to bite too far into the food as i think they will pop out at the back if there is too much force at the front.

Awk do not worry i wasn't too disgruntled about the result anyway :) that offside comment did make me laugh tho...:):):)

It doesn't make you a liar - not at all - forgive yourself right now. It just makes you human and inexperienced - heck I play it day by day and this is what you'll do too - you'll have your moments like I have (and I have many more to come).
I have had 4 times when mine didn't go in right - I am really good at pinching the inside of my upper lip - I have to breathe, stop, start again. Plus twice I did like you have done and got it in but really not lined up.
When I started with glue I got more um...'concentrated' I guess the word is on putting them in and pushing up all inside to make sure the glue contacted everywhere I had put it.
They will feel different every single day - that I can tell you. Sometimes really good - sometimes they feel terrible.
I had a terrible day yesterday but a great one today.

That dictaphone I got has seriously helped with my face to face speaking - even when it feels all wrong in my mouth it sounds much better recorded so therefore how it sounds to others is better than it does in my head.
I am better with calls than I am face to face so for you my suggestion is get used to 65-70 (the words - they are good to practice) and other words I work on are schedule, changes, Coronation Street, George (all these type of words flow air through where my gums have shrunk and they became a problem for me at about 10 days in. The powder glue sorted it up until just a day or so before you mailed me.
I had my extractions and denture on 25th Nov last year and by 5th December I needed some kind of glue.
However I have gum disease and have had since I was a teenager - it means my gums shrink faster. Hold off on glue until you need it but when you have an unstable day give it 3 days and likely that is the time you need some glue. Go without as long as you can but just use it if you feel uncomfortable

For your hols take the powder stuff and take the Fixodent stuff with you. I would if I were you only because I know now for myself that gum shrink starts slow and can be drastic only a very few days in. Also take some strong decent sheets of kitchen roll with you (2 sheets per day. Toilet roll is way too flimsy) for getting rid of glue from your mouth and the plate and having something to put your plate on to put the glue on to it.
Practice the glue before you go away - it's scary first time - prepare yourself so it doesn't wreck your holiday and you know what to expect.

Eating - try not to starve!!!
But I get it - you have been through hell and need to practise on your own.
This early on - nope do not use your denture to bite down. While you are away try a chip - that was my first try and then I managed a thin pizza (no crust). I still haven't tried things like a burger or a hot dog (typical young guy holiday food) but I can happily eat a sandwich providing I don't have to cut through the filling too much - thick slices of beef or ham are not on my list right now! Loll!!
Remember what I said about splitting bites into two and chewing both sides - it helps - needs some thought but really helps.

You now know it does fit and your alignment was off - things will change - the fit will change.
Be prepared for it. I am telling you what I am due to my own really early and new experience.
Practise for that holiday - if you do - you will have a blast. If you don't it'll be angst filled.
Do not go away without the powder glue I sent you the link for at the very least though - just preparation so you won't get stuck and feel rubbish.

I happened to have a horrible night tonight (caused by an inept doctor - all sorted now) and seeing your post made my day!
I am so pleased for you!!! ;D

I don't know your time plan for implants and whether that is a want or a something you need to save for but if it's a fairly far off thing (over 6 months from extraction date) then mail me and I'll give you some info about relines. I haven't had one yet - it's too early but I am hoping the dentist will do this around my 6 month mark.
I know what they are though and you may not yet so happy to explain.

I DO know the offside rule! *stomps foot* Ball is there, gets kicked between players,,sorta....depends on the players positions...(Ok, I have an IDEA of the offside rule!! Lol!) I just totally messed up - a red team won - minor league...oh boy did I feel bad! Lol!

I had venners on the top teeth 10 yrs ago..in August last year I felt something sharp on the second to front tooth.. went dentist was given tempory filling two weeks later the tooth fracted and had to be removed .. as I was getting married in October I had I one tooth denture fitted for the wedding.. every month I was visiting the dentist and telling him the plate was scraping the next tooth .. he didn't agree .. I felt this was wearing down my tooth. Feb this year the second tooth came out .. I had the option of a bridge or denture .. after researching the best option for me I choose denture .. dentist recommended taking out a bk tooth so the new denture would fit better ... I got my second denture it rocked side to side and didn't fit at the front properly I couldn't eat with them in and when I talked they dropped down .. I've used all the fixidents and powders nothing kept it in.. another mould was took in april i saw a dental technician which my dentist got hin to come to his surgery he had a look and the reassuring words made me smile again .. he told me to go to his lab and we will pick the teeth that match the rest and I will have my beaitiful smile again.. Well the time came last Friday for me to go get my denture fitted.. clips had been put on to this denture to keep it in place .. after 3 times of putting it in and out and filing here and there to get them to fit snuggly.. they still rocked side to side and the main teeth the front ones didn't fit at the gum properly .. i was told i coukd visit another dental technition.. and see what he could do but I would have to pay .. he then said there's nothing else I can do .. seriously!! I left the dentist in tears and cry daily .. What can I do .. it's ruining my life I don't want to leave the house .. I'm a nurse and I have to speak to multi disciplinary team's daily with my habd over my mouth in case my denture drops .. please help or guide me in the right direction.

Back