• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate Upper Dentures!

A

ashleyb

Hi everyone! I will be getting all of my top teeth pulled and getting immediate dentures. I am EXTREMELY nervous about the whole process and have a few questions for those who wear dentures. (I plan on discussing everything with my dentist, but I just wanted some first hand opinions and experiences).

1. How long after the impressions are done will I go get my teeth pulled/get dentures?

2. When you first start wearing the dentures, do they gag you to the point where you actually throw up?

3. Did they give you an adequate amount of pain medicine? (I am a complete baby when it comes to dental pains and getting one tooth hurts me much less 11!)

4. Can you really not taste food anymore?

5. What exactly is a "reline / soft reline" and does everybody that gets dentures get it?

Thanks in advance and any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump:

I cannot help you with your questions much as I don't have dentures but I am sure that someone that has been through this procedure will be along soon to give you some advice.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Thank you for the welcome Carole! I hope somebody does reply with answers because I am a nervous wreck! Im sure it is worse in my head than it really will be though!

Thank you for the welcome Carole! I hope somebody does reply with answers because I am a nervous wreck! Im sure it is worse in my head than it really will be though!
My brother in law is on day 8 of having 14 teeth extracted and immediate dentures. He had the impressions done weeks ago, they made the dentures the day of getting the dentures he had his extractions. The put the teeth in right afterwards. He was sent home with heavy medication he didn't fill the script in time and was in pretty bad shape until the meds kicked in. He did 2 days of the heavy pain meds and now there is no pain just a little sore. He has a small jaw and there is no gaging. The best advice is to be ready with soft food have it on hand and after 24 hrs do your salt water rinses. He didn't get any antibiotics or anything like that. The reline may or may not happen it depends on how good your denturist is and how good the lab is. There is going to be high spots after your healing and you go to the denturist and they adjust the denture on the spot you wont know until you can completely bite down on food and its not happening yet on day 8. my hubby has had full mouth dentures since he was in his 20's. We are on his 4 set of dentures and he has never had a reline only high spots sore in the mouth the denturist fixed them, sanded down the spots and done. He has never complained about not tasting food, my friend swears his food isn't the same after dentures maybe the material the lab uses? good question for the denturist.

These threads may help you they both start from a position similar to yours and they go right through to this year. They are quite long but you can skip bits.

All the best to you and Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::butterfly:

Hello,
It doesn't say where you are from and this may alter procedures I am a year into full upper and partial lower best thing I ever done!!
depending on the work load of the lab, whether it is joined to the dental practice can influence the time period from impressions to extraction I also had a try in of the pink plastic ( without teeth) to make sure it fitted ok but this may be particular to my practice or the region ( I am UK based) the dentists liaised with the lab so they could make the day for extraction coincide with the denture being ready but I know some people have had their teeth in a little bag to take with them:giggle:
Pain wise this may also depend on what numbing anaesethic you are having as IV sedation in the states seems to have people more drowsy leaving than the UK I had numbing shots took ibuprofen and paracetamol as soon as I got out into the car and drove home managed fine on regular doses of these meds day 3 was my most sore but I was back at work after two days,
i had no trouble with gagging but there again I am not really that type of person but the denture does feel very big and my tongue ached after a few days learning where to sit in a slightly different position, and if it makes you gag sometimes they can be trimmed a bit which stops,
food wise doesn't taste any different as you still have lower taste buds.
reline I had a reline months down the line it was similar to having an impression with the new material being put on the denture and put in my mouth til it set and then trimmed and smoothed ( it tasted disgusting) was done while I was there but this was to keep this temp denture as long as possible I got my new set earlier this year and only had the one reline on my temps.
my whole denture journey has not been to bad at all and they look good and I eat anything I am allowed even bite apples :jump:
You need to stay positive 'A bad day with good teeth far outweighs a good day with bad teeth'
i wish you well and will look out for your future postings:)
D.J:whirl:

Thanks Carole I will check those out!
DJ thanks a lot! I live in the states so im sure things are very different in the UK but I still appreciate your answers! As its getting closer, im getting more excited and at the same time more scared lol Its like a tug of war but I know that the first time I see myself smiling with teeth (which I havent been able to do in at least 2 years) that it will be ok! I have my appointment for my impressions this coming tuesday, but at the bottom of the appointment card it says "RV: Extractions" which im confused about. Maybe it means reserve extractions? Idk but I will find out.

Back