• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infected gum round wisdom tooth?

Judythecat

Judythecat

Can anyone help, please? I am prone to a swollen gum round my upper wisdom tooth when it’s my time of the month. I clean it carefully with my usual electric toothbrush, them a separate baby’s toothbrush. Tonight I gave it a poke with my finger (I know) and my finger had gunk on it. There was no bad taste, but I am worried the gunk was pus, and it’s infected. Could it be anything else? I did give it a brush with the baby toothbrush after dinner, about 7.30. The tooth is fully erupted, and the actual tooth doesn’t hurt at all.

If the gum is infected, can it spread to my other teeth? I had a checkup at the end of January and scored a 2 in that area because it was up then, but my dentist wasn’t particularly concerned. My other gum scores were 1/0.

Thank you for reading!

It's not infected, it'll just be a buildup of crud because you can't clean it properly, it's a "dead" space so very hard to get at it to clean.
It can't spread.

It's not infected, it'll just be a buildup of crud because you can't clean it properly, it's a "dead" space so very hard to get at it to clean.
It can't spread.

Thank you so much, Gordon, that really puts my mind at ease. I actually wondered about that (crud is a great word!) after I posted this last night. I remember having an abscessed tooth when I was in my late teens and the taste from it - presumably the pus - was just vile.

I gave it a good saltwater rinse this morning, and put some Corsodyl round it using a cotton bud after brushing my teeth. The gum was bleeding a bit, but I know I need to just keep at it. Hopefully it will resolve itself.

Thank you again, it is much appreciated.

Back