• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Intense pain, dentist can't find cause, and pregnant!

101rach101

I'm at my wits end here and dentist is unable to help at the moment. Three weeks ago I went for a check up and clean (had no pain at this time), I’m currently 26 weeks pregnant. The dentist filled a hole in a top tooth where a filling had fallen out (a while previously and was causing no pain). A week or so later my teeth started aching and the one she refilled started being sensitive to cold. I often needed paracetemol at night to help me sleep. I spoke to her and she explained aching teeth can be to do with pregnancy but to go back if it got worse. Well, it got very bad over the weekend so I went to see her Monday. She took x-rays (hesistantly because of pregnancy) and nothing is showing up.

Problem is, it hurts at the bottom and top of my mouth at different times. It doesn’t hurt when she taps any tooth. The pain is relieved by holding cold water in my mouth, but paracetemol barely touches the pain and other painkillers are not allowed for me due to the pregnancy (can’t use clove oil either). I can’t sleep, finding it really difficult to concentrate and there’s no light at the end of the tunnel if she can’t identify the cause of the pain.

I haven’t had a cold, or any problems with sinuses, so don’t think it is that. I’m on day three of antibiotics and they haven’t helped.

Doesn’t help that I’m a nervous patient and I normally have sedation for anything more than a simple filling, and I struggle lying on my back now with the weight of the baby.

Any ideas?

I'm at my wits end here and dentist is unable to help at the moment. Three weeks ago I went for a check up and clean (had no pain at this time), I’m currently 26 weeks pregnant. The dentist filled a hole in a top tooth where a filling had fallen out (a while previously and was causing no pain). A week or so later my teeth started aching and the one she refilled started being sensitive to cold. I often needed paracetemol at night to help me sleep. I spoke to her and she explained aching teeth can be to do with pregnancy but to go back if it got worse. Well, it got very bad over the weekend so I went to see her Monday. She took x-rays (hesistantly because of pregnancy) and nothing is showing up.

Problem is, it hurts at the bottom and top of my mouth at different times. It doesn’t hurt when she taps any tooth. The pain is relieved by holding cold water in my mouth, but paracetemol barely touches the pain and other painkillers are not allowed for me due to the pregnancy (can’t use clove oil either). I can’t sleep, finding it really difficult to concentrate and there’s no light at the end of the tunnel if she can’t identify the cause of the pain.

I haven’t had a cold, or any problems with sinuses, so don’t think it is that. I’m on day three of antibiotics and they haven’t helped.

Doesn’t help that I’m a nervous patient and I normally have sedation for anything more than a simple filling, and I struggle lying on my back now with the weight of the baby.

Any ideas?

I am not a dentist, however here are few suggestions / questions ..

1) Try posting an xray on this forum. There are couple of excellent and helpful dentists who might be able to help

2) Is there any swelling on your gums near the offending tooth ?

3) Did you dentist do a tooth vitality test ?

Back