• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there any difference in RCT success rate between NHS and private and experience of dentist?

P

Peppa

Is there any difference in RCT success rate between NHS and private and experience of dentist?

I'm on maternity so can have free treatment (only paying for sedation) but dentist will be NHS and only graduated a few years ago. Private dentist would have more experience, but would quality of instruments/ procedure be any better too?
im claustrophobic so need sedation and can't entertain the thought of a rubber dam, sedated or not so endodontist not an option.

Cost is obviously important, but I really want to maximise my chances of success.

Re: Is there any difference in RCT success rate between NHS and private and experience of dentist?

Big big difference between the quality of most NHS and private root canals but this is mostly operator dependent. Yes quality of materials would help but mostly time spent.
Use of rubber dam greatly increases success rates and it will help to protect you as well.

Re: Is there any difference in RCT success rate between NHS and private and experience of dentist?

I've had 1 of each NHS and Private and the latest one (Private) was much better (using a dental dam), if it's a Molar my dentist tends to refer his patients to a trusted Endodontist as that helps to increase the success rate but his job on a premolar was first rate and it's now been crowned for extra strength and looks and feels amazing.

Generally if it's a private job, the dentist has a lot more time to spend getting things spot on, Gentledental is right that using a dam seems to be much better (I wasn't sure at first but now I actually prefer using a dam for dental work as there isn't stuff like water trickling down my throats and it feels like the tooth is separated from the rest of me if that makes sense).

Back