• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I've finally made the step of getting a dentist appointment but am petrified as to what will happen.

A

Amy234

I've finally made the step of getting a dentist appointment but am petrified as to what will happen.

Hello everyone,
This is my first time I've decided to write something about the fear I have. I've been looking at the forum and all the success stories and I really pray that one day it could be me.
I Haven't been to the dentist for 7 years. It seems so stupid that I have left it that long as I know my teeth have just been getting worse and worse. When I was younger I had my parents to tell me to go but as I got to an age of independence I got to choose and gradually the fear built up from there. I went through a rough teenage period and I just stopped caring about myself including my teeth and now I feel they are all horrible and disgusting to look at.
It's got so bad I actually shake at the thought of the dentist, I can't watch any adverts to do with teeth and I seize up if anyone talks about their teeth. It has become a complete fear to me.
After a year of convicing myself to do it, I've finally got up the courage to go to the dentist but I'm not sure if I can do it. I know I have a problem. I look around and see all these people with nice teeth and just wish I could be like them. It seems such an easy step for some who don't know what it's like to have a phobia but so hard for me to do.

I would appreciate any advice or support you could give me,

a very afraid and nervous person

Re: I've finally made the step of getting a dentist appointment but am petrified as to what will hap

Hi Amy234:

Congratulations, you have made a great decision. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to face your fear(s). It is the best thing you can do. Anxiety/Phobias grow stronger the more you avoid them. Be proud of yourself for taking this step.

It can be overwhelming to look at the whole thing at once. Taking small, low risk actions, like phoning the dentist is great and builds confidence.

You can do this. The anxiety/phobia tries to convince you that you are hopeless and helpless. You are not either. Dental fear is one of the most common things on the planet. The fear is real and can rob you of quality of life.

You have come to the right place by joining this forum. There are many people here that will reach out and offer support and encouragement.

Believe in yourself. If you can take the first step, which you did, you can take the second and then third and so forth.

Dentistry has made huge advances and can be painless. You will be able to achieve the smile you desire. If I can help, PM me.

Blessings and Peace to you :)

Re: I've finally made the step of getting a dentist appointment but am petrified as to what will hap

Hi Amy
I do empathise with you

I decided to visit a dentist after 30 years, but found I couldn't walk through that door to make an appt.

Same with the phone... I just couldn't...

Eventually, I sent an email tp the dental practice, explaining my situation and I got an email reply saying that they would phone me to make an appt.

This they did, and I'm about half way through my treatment plan..

Good luck ...:)

Hi Amy....it took me about five years to make the next appointment. So many of us put it off until we're in so much pain that we can't stand it. It took me five years between appointments. I dreaded making that call, too.....I did some research on local dentists (asked around and checked their websites if they had one) and was finally able to make that call. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.... this forum is what inspired me to do what I knew I had to do. Best of luck to you....please keep us posted!

nosmokin2

Hi, Amy~

You CAN do this. You've made a very hard but extremely good decision. With small steps and lots of support behind you, you CAN do it.

We all know what you're feeling, and most of us have been right where you are now. There are so many that are at various points in their journeys, but all started pretty much at the same place. Making the call (or email) and getting to that first appointment. We're here to help you get there, so you don't have to do it alone, just like Nosmokin said.

You will be writing your own success story. There are lots of us here that will be waiting to read it. :hug2:

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. I honestly don't know what i'd do without this forum. It is a way to let my feelings be heard without any judgement or ridicule. At the moment it is a week until my appointment and so I can tell myself that I have a long time.
I just feel very pathetic for creating such a fuss. I had problems at first getting an appointment and it is so hard fighting to get an appointment when its the last thing on earth your body wants you to do. The only thing is I was so nervous i've booked the appointment without explaining i'm a very nervous patient. It is one of the ones recommended by a person on this forum so I hope it will be OK.
Your words of comfort and support have been invaluble to me. I think I may have cancelled the appointment had I not felt someone was there supporting me. I will keep you updated with it all.

Thank you all very much

Amy, I have gone from being a complete dental phobic, only went once in about 23 years!!! to getting all my treatment done in the last 5 weeks, 6 appointments and I have a healthy mouth, I so hope that you can just start the journey, I have had various treatments in the last 5 weeks and not one was painfull each time I went I felt more empowered and confident and finally felt in control, please do go ahead with your treatment, you are going to feel so proud of yourself and the feeling of knowing that you have healthy teeth is amazing, I can't stop smiling at everyone!!!! keep going you can do it, take each step slowly and do it at your own pace, take care xxx Even baby steps in the right direction count

I have less than 2 days to go and i am freaking out a little. I'm starting to have sleep disturbance and am going off my food. Work is helping as it is keeping my mind off it but when i have a chance to think voices of doubt come back in my head. I really want to do this for my health and to have a nice smile i'm just so scared of judgement. I read some of the comments that people have written and I would not like some of their dentist experiences. I hope I can do it. I will keep you posted :o

Hi, Amy. I'm glad you posted again.

The anxiety you're feeling is very normal to the rest of us. We know exactly how you feel.

Not knowing what to expect is the worst part and makes that first appointment so hard. But you can do it! Whether it's just a consultation where the dentist will merely sit and talk to you, or you go all out for a first checkup, you're not going to be judged.

Dentists deal with dental problems. That's what they do, what they trained for. Why would they judge a new patient for coming to them for help? It's only your imagination talking, and believe me, I know how convincing it can be. But go to that appointment with the attitude that you're there to get whatever needs fixing, fixed. Dentists provide a service to a multitude of different people with varying amounts of dental woe. You certainly won't be the worst your dentist has seen, so try not to worry about being judged.

In two days, you'll have answers and very probably a plan of action. You'll be in a position of power to correct whatever dental problems you have. It's a great feeling!

All you have to do is get there. Yes, easier said than done for us phobics, but we can do it. YOU can do it.

Go read through the success stories if you haven't already. And if you have, read them again. And over again when the fear hits hardest. You can follow in their footsteps and have a healthy mouth. Taking the power away from your fear is a huge reward in itself that will give you even more strength as you work on your treatment plan.

We'll be waiting to support you and read your own success story.
:grouphug:

Hi Amy:

You are going to do great! The first appointment is basically a "look and see."

Each step gets you closer to your goal. It can be hard to relax so focus on how great you will feel when you slay this dragon. Your life and self-confidence is going to improve by incredible amounts.

Taking the first steps is the hardest. You are doing something less than 1% of the people in the world will ever do.

1. Taking responsibility for your life.
2. Deciding not to settle for living in fear and pain.
3. Developing a plan.
4. Taking action on the plan

This makes you a winner!. You are not a victim, you are a victor. Be very proud of yourself. Facing your fear is the bravest thing anyone can do. Courage is not a lack of fear, it is going forward in spite of the fear. This is the stuff heroes are made of. :cheers:

Blessings and peace :)

Amy we are all thinking of you, please go ahead and do this, I used to be sooo scared but am soooo happy now it's unbelievable I promise you it's not anything like you imagine it to be... and the feeling of having healthy teeth is so brilliant it's so worth it, I have been in the dentists chair more times in the past 6 weeks than I have been in 23 years, my credit card is in more pain than I have been in at any time!!! I have had all sorts done and injections everywhere and I can honestly say that none of it was like I had imagined it to be, everything was quick and painless, nerves made me tense but even so all my treatments have been untraumatic and I have left each time smiling:thumbsup:

Hi Amy,

We are all here as your cheerleaders. :jump: You have our sympathy for what you are feeling, we understand where you are coming from. and what we also KNOW in our heart of hearts is that you can do this. We know that you will be able to step through the panic to walk into the lobby of the office. and when you are there standing in the office, imagine all of us waving our pom poms in excitement for you for having made it to the office. for at that moment, you have made it through that huge step! and on and on you will go to the finish line!!

Cheers and support to you!
Dr. Shirley

Hi Amy,
I avoided the dentist for 12 years and just this week i went. Promise the nerves are the worst part. Mine was just a checkup although i need work done in december I am so glad i went because i thought mine were the worse in the world, but found out they arent and it can b fixed. It kind of settles you abit to know that. Good luck with your appointment , you will do fine. In and out before you know it :) this forum is the BEST to get support/advise and encouragement. I cry everytime i go (twice in last 12 years), but thats becasue I am so nervous and cant get over it. Take it at your pace, I am spreading my treatment out over a period of time becasue it suits me, not my dentist.
thinking about it all is the worse part, promise you!

I actually made it to the dentist! i don't think i could have done it without your support. I was so terrified by the time i go there that i just burst into tears when i had to go in. The dentist was very kind and only did a check up and didn't look much but i have to go bck in a few weeks for some work. I'm very pleased i went as it means i can start doing something about my teeth. I had to write on the form where i was recommended the dentist and i put on a dental fear website and he was very impressed. I will go back but i don't think i'll be perfect but i think its better than the first time of visiting in years. Thankyou all soo much to all of you- you've been amazing. I will keep u updated of my next appointment.:yay:

that was an awesome post, thank you for the gift StreeDoc!

Well done Amy, Im trying to do the same now, as I havent seen a dentist in 6 years and im so scared. Ive started to email dentists ect and have been given a number to phone for people who are anxious. I cant stand the noise in the dentists of drills ect im pretty sure id have to be sedated, as im so anxious i start to feel sick and i have unfortunately have a phobia of being sick to :(.So even emailing is causing me nearly to cry!

:yay::yay:That's great, Amy! You have every reason to be very proud of yourself.

Lyndz, when I wrote my first email to the dentist, I sat in front of the computer screen blubbering like a baby who'd just lost her favourite teddy bear. It was actually quite therapeutic. I think many of us did the same thing - even without a fear of getting sick. Don't worry, you're normal.

Thanks ive to phone a dental helpline in my area tommorow when im off work to talk about it being dental phobic, then see a community dentist for a check up then theyll send me information on registering with a dentist, i really think ill have to be sedated though even writing this now im blubering.

Hi Amy,
Congrats!! Thats your 1st step done:)

And lyndz, I think everyone on this forum was in the same boat, i still sobb my heart out when I get myself into a panic about the whole situation. Though that is completely normal, and you will be fine:thumbsup:

Hi Amy,
Congrats!! Thats your 1st step done:)

And lyndz, I think everyone on this forum was in the same boat, i still sobb my heart out when I get myself into a panic about the whole situation. Though that is completely normal, and you will be fine:thumbsup:

hiya everyone, and firstly well done amy on getting thru that first appt...i so know how that feels xx well done hunni xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

its now nearly a full year since i registered with a dentist (after 7 years without dental treatment, horrendous wisdom teeth extraction in my 20's just put me off for life..) and i can remember how much i built that first appt up to being prob the worst thing ever. The reality was so much different and yes in the past 10 months i have had to have a couple of treatments that i did not like so much.....but the reward is knowing that they have been done and i have a healthy mouth. My dentist is lovely, he really is...just wished i had been recommended to him sooner..but it was a great relief to know that even without regular checks up for the last few years I still have no major probs. I have my 6 month follow up in nov and i am actually looking forward to it..would you beleive !!!! i guess thats the effect a good and supportive/understanding dentist has on you !! I'm pretty proud of myself and proud of others on this site for facing our demons and getting back in that chair..we should be proud of ourselves and a big thumbs up to those great dentists out there who really care :thumbsup::thumbsup::respect: