• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Jaw after a 2nd molar extraction

• Thread starter Scared all the time
  • Start date
S

Scared all the time

Hi everyone. I have a question. I’ve had my upper second molar extracted the beginning of January and since then my jaw has been not quite right. Still sore at times ( funny it’s the opposite side of the extraction that has the issues)and the sound of sand and some cracking when I open and close it. It wasn’t an extremely easy extraction took awhile she said the instrument kept slipping and using different ones to finally get it out. Could it be the pulling and moving around my jaw during extraction somehow caused these issues I’m now having? Or maybe from the chewing on the side side only for so long? I’m chewing normal now but favored the extraction side for a long time. I didn’t have this before ?. I do plan on talking to her about it and having a night guard made (they tell me I clench and grind) but is this something that should clear up if it was due to the extraction? Wondering if anyone has experience this before? Thanks in advance! I’m

When I had 8 teeth removed (4 wisdoms plus 4 premolars) under general anaesthesia, I had a sore and achy jaw as well. It gradually went away after about 2 months. I did do some jaw exercises from time to time whenever I remembered and it does help it not be so stiff. Do bring up the cracking sound to your dentist, it may be a tmj issue.

When I had 8 teeth removed (4 wisdoms plus 4 premolars) under general anaesthesia, I had a sore and achy jaw as well. It gradually went away after about 2 months. I did do some jaw exercises from time to time whenever I remembered and it does help it not be so stiff. Do bring up the cracking sound to your dentist, it may be a tmj issue.
I figured it mostly was due to the extraction and need time for fully heal. I just noticed the cracking sound last night but I will mention it to her thanks!

My jaw still isn't right after my extractions. It has gotten better, but I have a lot more tension in it than I used to, which makes it feel tight and sore sometimes. It isn't consistent though.

My jaw still isn't right after my extractions. It has gotten better, but I have a lot more tension in it than I used to, which makes it feel tight and sore sometimes. It isn't consistent though.
Same here, sometimes there’s no issues at all other time la it’s sore and just doesn’t feel right to me. I hope it gets better

Try the jaw exercises. Can do a couple of minutes at a time when you are watching tv, driving, at the computer, etc.

Try the jaw exercises. Can do a couple of minutes at a time when you are watching tv, driving, at the computer, etc.
What sort of jaw exercises? Yes I have time throughout the day to do them

I was doing very simple ones like moving my jaw up-down, left-right, opening and closing my mouth. You can also try some of the exercises here if you have more time and are more comfortable.

Back