• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got 2 wisdom teeth removed. What should I expect?

S

Steelers72

Today I got my top wisdom tooth (not impacted) and bottom wisdom tooth (impacted) removed. The anesthetics worked really well for the top one; I didn't feel a thing. The bottom one, I needed four to five more shots before I was comfortable.

Anyway, now I am experiencing the expected throbbing pain and headache. They prescribed my amoxicillin for any infection and percocet for the pain.

It's throbbing and it shoots up to my temple. That is normal I assume?

So, the real question is how long will this pain last? They said that Day 3 will feel like a bus hit me, but I have friends who say they felt better within 3-5 days. When would I be able to eat normally?

Also, is using gauze absolutely necessary? The pain sort of feels worse with the gauze in..

In spring I have to get the other 2 removed. Top isnt impacted but the bottom is partially erupted, and very close to the nerve; apparently it will "hurt more." Well, anything worse than the pain from the one I got removed today I think you could carve up a tombstone now.

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
Today I got my top wisdom tooth (not impacted) and bottom wisdom tooth (impacted) removed. The anesthetics worked really well for the top one; I didn't feel a thing. The bottom one, I needed four to five more shots before I was comfortable.

Anyway, now I am experiencing the expected throbbing pain and headache. They prescribed my amoxicillin for any infection and percocet for the pain.

It's throbbing and it shoots up to my temple. That is normal I assume?

So, the real question is how long will this pain last? They said that Day 3 will feel like a bus hit me, but I have friends who say they felt better within 3-5 days. When would I be able to eat normally?

Also, is using gauze absolutely necessary? The pain sort of feels worse with the gauze in..

In spring I have to get the other 2 removed. Top isnt impacted but the bottom is partially erupted, and very close to the nerve; apparently it will "hurt more." Well, anything worse than the pain from the one I got removed today I think you could carve up a tombstone now.

Any advice appreciated!

hello! I got my bottom right wisdom tooth removed on Friday and I've found that the pain lessened everyday, although the swelling is worse on gee 2nd/3rd day. I still can't eat properly but my pain and swelling is much better. I was only told to keep the gauze in for the first half hour or so after surgery and I didn't use it after that, so I don't think you have to unless there is a lot of bleeding. Hope you feel better soon, the removal of my bottom tooth was also a little uncomfortable!

hello! I got my bottom right wisdom tooth removed on Friday and I've found that the pain lessened everyday, although the swelling is worse on gee 2nd/3rd day. I still can't eat properly but my pain and swelling is much better. I was only told to keep the gauze in for the first half hour or so after surgery and I didn't use it after that, so I don't think you have to unless there is a lot of bleeding. Hope you feel better soon, the removal of my bottom tooth was also a little uncomfortable!

Thanks, I hope you feel better too. I went back to the dentist to get some packing for the extraction hole because was throbbing real bad and hurt when I breathed and drank; couldn't sleep much and if I took any more percocet I'd be called an addict. Also gave me a syringe. The packing dissolved now, so all I hope is that the pain doesn't come back and I can manage to keep the area clean. I hope all goes well for you too. What an annoying procedure!

Back