• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got wisdom teeth pulled...

  • Thread starter Thread starter R4cheal
  • Start date Start date
R

R4cheal

Junior member
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
2
Just got my wisdom teeth pulled 5 days ago and I'm starting to think it's the worst decision I've ever made in MY LIFE! Now, I'm not writing this post to scare anyone because the actual process of getting your wisdom teeth pulled wasn't that bad. I had all 4 pulled out and my bottom 2 were impacted and under my gums. Now I don't know if impacted means under the gum or if impacted means those growing caused teeth to become crocked but either or both were the case for me. Now I'm sitting here with a numb bottom lip & chin due to nerve damage or bruising and my dentist says there isn't ANYTHING he can do. It is the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever felt and I've broken my arm,wrist and dislocated my shoulder all at the same time. I know it's only been 5 days but its so uncomfortable my jaw is starting to hurt from it. I desperately need someone to tell me if anything can be done!?!?
 
were you prescribed any medication for the pain? if not, you should ask for some narcotic pain medicine to deal with the severe pain
 
as for the nerve damage, there is a chance that the nerve can heal, as long as it was not severed. even if it was severed, there are surgeries they can do to correct it by transplanting nerves from your leg. however, it is very rare that the nerve is severed in wisdom tooth removal.
 
were you prescribed any medication for the pain? if not, you should ask for some narcotic pain medicine to deal with the severe pain

They gave me narco but, I literally had no pain from the wisdom tooth extraction just the numbness is making me depressed
 
i understand how frustrating the numbness could be. especially because the dentist did not offer any solutions. i would get a second opinion. if you have any feeling at all, that is a good sign. if not, there are always options. you just need to find a dentist that will put in the time effort to help you become more comfortable. but the numbness might just resolve on its own in a few months. the nerve might just be traumatized.
 
I actually just got my lower right wisdom tooth removed yesterday. It had a cyst below it that also needed to be removed. My dentist informed me that the cyst was right on the nerve, and I "may" lose sensitivity in my tongue, cheek, and chin area. He said it may last for weeks, months, or it may be permanent. Right now I don't feel any numbness that you describe. *Knocks on Wood*. I don't believe there is much you can do about it being that the nerve is very close to the lower wisdom tooth. Hopefully your feeling comes back.
 
I know, with all you have been through, *give it a little time* isn't exactly what you want to hear, but I have to say *give it time*. I know right now, it seems bleak, but it does get better. It WILL get better :) The hard part, believe it or not, is over. I had several injections for a gum infection in January, and still feeling the effects in April. Its 97% better, but thank goodness that abscess is gone! Most say to do ice packs, which does work, but I was informed to do warm compresses after a month or so, and it really worked. Hang in there, you did the right thing, this too shall pass! Wishing you the best...
 
Back
Top