• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just wondering on tools used

  • Thread starter Thread starter BensonBooga
  • Start date Start date
B

BensonBooga

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
45
When I had my fillings done the other day they used this really powerful device that felt like a roller or grinder that was so strong when pushing on the teeth. I don't remember ever having that in a filling before, normally there is just the high pitch drill. Any idea what the device could have been ? I always keep my eyes closed so didn't see what it was. When it was used on my teeth it really made me vibrate, seemed very powerful.

Just curious really :) As like I say, I don't remember that being used before.
 
It's the bumpy rough drill which the dentist uses when they get to a tough bit of the tooth, yes it does make your whole head vibrate. It was used on me during my recent fillings and is quite usual, just like sanding down anything at home that requires something tougher.
 
It's the bumpy rough drill which the dentist uses when they get to a tough bit of the tooth, yes it does make your whole head vibrate. It was used on me during my recent fillings and is quite usual, just like sanding down anything at home that requires something tougher.

That particular drill is more noisy than the high speed drill. When I had my filling done on Thursday, I had to cover my ears because the sound hurt my ears. I had a fairly deep cavity as well so I'm guessing that's when they use that instrument.
 
I had 3 fillings on Thursday. The dentist used 2 different drills. One of them was fast and you could hardly feel it, the other one vibrated a lot and he warned me it would vibrate. One of my cavities was super deep too
 
Back
Top