• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Leaking feeling from root canal with temp crown

M

MountainMama

Yesterday, I started getting a leaking feeling from my upper left 2nd molar that had a root canal in early June. It was better this morning, but I got an achy feeling in the tooth today, and the leaky feeling came back after lunch.
There is so much going on with my mouth that I don't want to panic unnecessarily, but it is hard not to.
First of all, the root canal has failed, so I kniw there is infection, even though the 3d scan showed no issues with the root canal. I am scheduled for an apicoectomy on Aug. 15.

I had oral surgery two weeks ago to remove a supernumary wisdom tooth right next to the root canal tooth. That has been healing well, and barely even aches anymore. I cannot see the incision site, but my doctor checked it last week and said it looked okay.

I also have swollen sinuses, but little to no congestion. Doctor has me in flonase spray once a day.

I have barely any pain in the area. There is some pressure pain and a little aching, but nothing bad. It hurts if I push on it or bite down. It just feels like there is constant seeping...not a gush, but feels like I have more saliva than usual in that area. It doesn't have a foul taste, just a little salty. I am doing salt rinses several times a day. I don't feel like the area is swollen either. When I flossed tonight, I did get a bad taste right after, but it didn't continue.

So my question, before I panic, is that it could be drainage from my sinuses? I know the root tips extend into my sinuses. I also have a temporary crown that has been on since August 22, but was taken off and put back on after my root canal early June. I don't know if stuff could get under it and then drain out.

Last edited:
I’ve always had this weird sensation like my root canal was leaking something out over the years too? That’s why I’ve never thought it was right! So I don’t know if what you are feeling is normal or infection as mine is now failing too? Might have some more answers next week when I get it reroot canalled! I’ve woke up today with earache on that side too! Not sure if linked to tooth or from opening my mouth so much for dental things/X-rays etc ? I just want to have one day of no pain and go back to not being obsessed with my mouth & teeth! (My wisdom tooth that side is slightly sore/infected at the gum now too) ??? hope u get it sorted with the api

I’ve always had this weird sensation like my root canal was leaking something out over the years too? That’s why I’ve never thought it was right! So I don’t know if what you are feeling is normal or infection as mine is now failing too? Might have some more answers next week when I get it reroot canalled! I’ve woke up today with earache on that side too! Not sure if linked to tooth or from opening my mouth so much for dental things/X-rays etc ? I just want to have one day of no pain and go back to not being obsessed with my mouth & teeth! (My wisdom tooth that side is slightly sore/infected at the gum now too) ??? hope u get it sorted with the api

I woke up this morning with a really sore throat, and it is swollen on the opposite side from my root canal tooth. I am debating whether to call my doctor and get checked out, but I feel like such a hypochondriac right now.