• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking at an extraction and implant, terrified

S

southside420

I cracked my tooth on Wednesday (in retrospect, I think it was already cracked but I didn't notice). I visited my dentist yesterday and he recommended it be extracted and replaced with an implant due to the crack being vertical. He also said he could start drilling to see if he could do anything, but felt that wasn't necessary.

I have an appointment with another dentist Monday for a second opinion. I've never had any dental work done in my life aside from 6 month cleanings/exam. I'm absolutely terrified. I don't want to be conscious during the procedure. Is that even an option? I know I'd be numb but being aware of what's going on sounds so frightening. I usually am not nervous for x-rays and cleanings but this is something entirely.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that your tooth is cracked :( The statement of your dentist sounds somehow contradicting, so getting a second opinion is a good idea.

An extraction would sound terrifying even for people who have been through dental work before so I get how terrified you are. If you feel like iv sedation would be the only way to get the procedure done, then this is what you should consult with your dentist. Your anxiety should get the same amount of attention like the dental work itself.

All the best wishes for the appointment on Monday and keep us posted.

I went for a second opinion today and it went as expected. The endondonist said while he could try a root canal, it likely would not last more than a year. I told him I may as well get the extraction and get it over with. So I'm scheduled to go Wednesday at 10:30am for the extraction and implant installation. I requested to be put under with IV sedation because I really don't want to be aware or remember any of this. I'm so scared.

Wow, you are really quick. Can't help myself but think of all the people who need weeks and months to schedule a procedure, very well done.:) There are a lot of success stories here on the forum regarding sedation and they are all positive. You won't remember much from the procedure - they give you the iv and in the next moment it's over and done. The anxiety before it might be the worst part.

All the best wishes for Wednesday and let us know how you are doing.

Wow, you are really quick. Can't help myself but think of all the people who need weeks and months to schedule a procedure, very well done.:) There are a lot of success stories here on the forum regarding sedation and they are all positive. You won't remember much from the procedure - they give you the iv and in the next moment it's over and done. The anxiety before it might be the worst part.

All the best wishes for Wednesday and let us know how you are doing.

I've never had an issue with teeth cleanings/exams/x-rays before, and at this point, I cannot eat solid foods comfortably and just want to get this over with before there is an infection or the tooth breaks apart and it's worse. All my friends who have had wisdom teeth removed via sedation say you wake up and its over. I just hope there are no complications.

In 24 hours, it will all be over. My doctor gave me a valium to take tomorrow morning before I go in to calm me down, so I hope that helps. My tooth is beginning to hurt now because I think I bite down on it when I sleep, so it is definitely time to get this over with. I will trust the people here and my friends and coworkers who say it won't be that bad and I'll wake up and it'll be over.

Good luck and best wishes. Glad to hear that you have the valium, hope you can get some sleep tonight. I am sure it will all go well. All the best and keep us posted.:clover:

Back