• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking for encouragement/comfort

D

DraconicPhoenix

Junior member
Joined
May 15, 2018
Messages
9
I'm not sure what's wrong with my mouth. I know I have an old jaw injury that hurts frequently and makes my whole mouth hurt but I know that's probably not responsible for all the problems with my front bottom teeth. I think I have some deep gum pockets. (one in particular that has what i believe is described as loose gum tissue). My teeth are tender at times and even though they don't seem loose and my gums don't bleed even when i use a floss stick I'm still concerned I might have gum disease. I know I have some gum recession (worried I might even have bone loss possibly due to clenching my jaw from stress and tmj pain). I'm afraid I might have to have multiple teeth (especially my bottom front middle teeth, the ones above that spot where gums get connected to bottom by that ligament? thing) extracted. The way my brain works I end up playing a mini vivid movie of all the what ifs (best case and worst case....especially worst case). I go into a panic each time and can even get nearly sick from the anxiety. I'm afraid of periodontal disease and losing all my teeth, of not being able to eat, not being able to afford the treatments (i can't even afford a cleaning right now and I can't get to a dental school right now due to being far away and not fully knowing how to get there...) and I'm also afraid of the sensory aspects and dealing with the people and there's also the fact that the times i've had surgery in the past i always threw up due to a bad reaction to the anesthesia so I don't know how i'll react to what they use to numb my mouth or put me under. I'm just a nervous wreck. I've looked up some of the nearest dental offices and am thinking about sending a message asking how they deal with nervous patients and pricing etc but I'm not sure when i'll actually be able to afford to get there... honestly any money we get for something like this has to go to my grandma first because she's worse off so i really don't know what i'm gonna do....Sorry if i'm rambling...I'm just coming down off a moment of panic as i type this.... I'm 26 and I'm terrified.... Words of encouragement and advice would be nice. I looked up CareCredit but due to reviews I've seen I'm not sure if it would be a good option... How should I go about asking a dentist for a payment plan? What's it like having teeth extracted? How difficult is it to eat? What are dentures like? .....sorry again for rambling...
 
Take one step at a time. First off, just start by getting seen by a dentist. Even if you can't afford a cleaning, at the very least, let a dentist examine you, and then from there work out what needs done, and save towards it. Things may not be as bad as you have imagined, but you wouldn't know until you get examined by a dentist. There are also community clinics that offer free dental care, so perhaps start looking around and see if you can find one to at least get examined by a dentist.

In the meantime, you could start saving towards a cleaning at least. Don't worry about the other stuff like extractions, anaesthesia, dentures, etc yet. Take each step as it comes. As mentioned, things may not be as bad as it seems.
 
Back
Top