• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking for the courage to get back in the chair.

Z

ZombyWoof

It’s been about 10 years since I’ve been to a dentist for even a simple cleaning and I’m starting to get some sensitivity and pain in my molars these days. I’m also concerned that my habit of grinding my teeth overnight has made me more susceptible to greater damage. I used to have nightmares about me clenching my teeth so hard that they would break in my mouth and I would chew on the shards. So god only knows how hard I was grinding them in my sleep but I can feel that the molars have been ground down compared to before. Basically every experience I’ve had regarding dentistry or orthodontics has been worst case scenario. For instance, when getting my wisdom teeth removed (which were all impacted/sideways) I woke up during the procedure and remember the intense pain and taste of blood, like I was chewing on razor blades and have a vivid memory of seeing my mouth in the reflection of my surgeon’s visor. Then waking up in the next room while my wife was staring at me in horror (I guess I looked like a corpse) while my mom talked to the surgeon who told her “We’re pretty sure we got all the teeth out. If not he’ll have to come back.” It was hell.
Needless to say, I’ve avoided going to the dentist once I became more independent. I was always busy. I wasn’t going to be able to afford it. My teeth don’t hurt so I must be fine. Truth is, I’m terrified of the mere notion of scheduling an appointment. I sweat and feel lightheaded every time I think about it. I have found some stories online that have made me more motivated to just go for it. That along with my wife, who’s been catching up on all of her dentistry needs who’s been telling me that it’s really not bad at all and that I’m just building it up in my head. I know she’s right and I know I am building it up. I just need to get over the fear and do it. Like jumping in a pool you think is too cold, but once you’ve done it, you realize it wasn’t that bad.

Hi there. I was like u not wanting to go cause I built it up in my head to be the worst thing ever, but today I went to my 1st check up. I nearly didn't get in the door but I know I had to. My teeth sound alot worse then yours and it wasn't all the bad news I thought it would be. The 1st phone call or appointment are the worse but I felt so bloody good with myself after today.

That’s great! I do believe I’m my own worst enemy in this case and I just need to go for it. I’m glad you feel better!

Hi,

it sounds like you feel determined to face the fear and get dental care you need.It sounds like your wife is also a great source for support. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring her with you? Just her sheer presence can relieve the stress because she can help you a bit in sharing the emotional burden.
I would recommend to stick to conservative dentistry at first, meaning to treat only essential and significant problems, don’t rush to crowns or treating small cavities.
Teeth grinding can be challenging to treat. Don’t rush to big treatment plans to solve the grinding.

Hi,

it sounds like you feel determined to face the fear and get dental care you need.It sounds like your wife is also a great source for support. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring her with you? Just her sheer presence can relieve the stress because she can help you a bit in sharing the emotional burden.
I would recommend to stick to conservative dentistry at first, meaning to treat only essential and significant problems, don’t rush to crowns or treating small cavities.
Teeth grinding can be challenging to treat. Don’t rush to big treatment plans to solve the grinding.
That’s not a bad idea, I’m sure she would be happy to. It might make me realize that I’m blowing things out of proportion.

Back