• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lots of dental troubles

turtlelove

turtlelove

It's been quite awhile since I have been on here. I have had Several fillings a Root Canal and Extraction since. Thought I was past this. I had a hang up progressing in dental work had another kid. Now 6 months old. I had no money for awhile there.

I had that root canal tooth break. They told me they can't save it. I had them do a full exam 9 fillings, 2 definite root canals but she suggests pulling them plus 3 more extractions.

She told me I need to start with the cleaning and fillings. had half of them done last Thursday. On Friday I had one of the fillings fall out. Couldn't call till today. She said she still wants to wait for my gums to heal. Another two weeks. Over the weekend I found out I have bronchitis and a sinus infection started antibiotics on Sunday. Now, Just now I had a tooth that she told me is unsaveable anyway brake to the gum line.

They act so inconsiderate with me. Like my fears are unjustifiable. The hygienist left me in tears picking at and spraying water in the one tooth that hurt. left the room with out telling me while in tears. Then came back 10 minutes later and said we have to numb your whole mouth I can't do this. I went through 12 shots so she could numb my mouth over me asking her to avoid that tooth. it is being pulled anyway.

My only fear left is extractions, and the embarrassment I feel. My parents NEVER took me to the dentist. I was told that I could only go if I was in pain. Years later with the fear ingrained in me a lack of money and insurance got me this mouth. I have had a pick dropped on my eye as a kid and a horrific extraction. That's my story. OK here's my questions.
1) is she right that I should wait for anymore dental work?
2) should I look for a new dentist with the way I feel treated?

I just want to cry.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to read about your situation and really shocked about how they treated you! How on earth can anyone leave the surgery while you are in tears?! :mad: This is awful.

It is really hard to stay on track with dental health if your parendts never took you to the dentist. First of all if you only went when you were in pain, then you never had a good experiences with dentist because it was all about treatment. Secondly, if you haven't had the habit of going regularly, then going as adult is even harder. This is all not your fault and can be changed with the right dentist. You deserve support and kindness and a good dental team that takes care of you.

One thing is to manage to get to the dentist and get the work done an another thing is to manage to get back regularly for checkups and to have the courage to get in touch with your practice if you feel something is going on. I can't imagine how this would work with your current practice as they treat you this terribly. I just would wish to get out and never come back if this happened and I can't even imagine how much worse your anxiety is after this experiences.

I can't tell you whether waiting for any more dental work is right. If I were in your shoes I would have troubles trusting and believing anyone who treats me this way. I can only encourage you to look around and see if you could find a new practice that would have more understanding. I know this can be hard if money is an issue but on the other hand, it sounds like almost any new place would be better that the one you have currently (again, I just can't grasp how any human being can leave an another human being alone while crying and the dental setting makes it even worse)

Whilst I have always gone to the dentist, I do not have good teeth due to being a bit lazy about cleaning properly. I also think I have inherited my dads teeth. He had most of his teeth out before he was 60. My mother on the other hand kept most of her teeth until she died the age of 93. She did have dentures but she said it was because she had crooked teeth and wanted the crooked teeth looking straight so they were taken out and replaced with dentures. How true that was I will never know but she did have a lot of her own teeth left and for the last 10 years of her life when she went for a check up she said she did not need any work done. Getting back to me..... I have just left a dental practice because I did not like the attitude of the dentist. I never got as far as having any treatment because my first visit was enough to leave me running for the hills. The dentist was abrupt and not pleasant and told me a few things that were questionable so I decided not to return. I have found somewhere else on the recommendation of a friend. The practice I left was recommended by someone I know and at first glance they seemed professional but as I said above, I did not like the dentist. I guess at the end of the day it is not the practice but the dentist who makes it an enjoyable visit or not. I guess if I had seen a different dentist at that practice, I might have felt differently but I was not going to stick around to find out and besides there may not have been any other dentist able to take me on as a patient as some dentists do not have the capacity to take on any more patients. It remains to be seen what my next dentist will be like

Thank you for all of your kind and understanding words. It really does help that someone understands. I think I will be looking for a new dentist my mom gave me the number for hers and my best friend gave me the number for hers as well. The only way to get the filling fixed with out being charged for another is to go back to my same dentist and I plan to make her fix it and not charge me again seeing as it fell out only 24 hours after it was placed. Then I am not going back to her. Seeing as I am sick I will wait till next week to find a new dentist. I guess it can't hurt anything to wait till I feel better to have this tooth pulled.

It's just upsetting because it's ugly. I can't wait to have a bridge put in so I can smile again.
I will be freaking out Closer to extraction day I'm sure.

You definitely need to find a new dentist! I just went back to the world of dentistry after having avoided it for 30 years and I am so happy with the office I found. Not sure where you live, but do check Google and Yelp! reviews, or ask friends. You deserve to be treated better than you have been-there are so many great dentists out there who want to help people. Good luck!

Hi,

I do agree with you. In the end, it all comes down to the human factor. Also in my Films I emphasize the human factor and communication. A Budha in the waiting room is meaningless, what the dentist does and says, that’s the real thing.
Just remember that it takes time to synchronize with someone else. Building a relationship takes time and it has its own dynamics.

Last edited:
Back