• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower molar extraction - nervous about numbing.

W

whatkatiedid1993

Hi there

I need to have three lower molars extracted. All three are broke., mostly cracked doen to the gum line and have been this way for 10 years. Over these 10 years I have had multiple abscesses and can’t eat certain foods due to the exposed gum. I have been working hard to gain the confidence/courage to go and have these teeth extracted however the fear I don’t seem to be able to move past is the numbing. I know the dentist will be required to give me a nerve blocking injection to perform lower jaw extractions - has anyone had this done? Or any dentists who perform these can you tell me - will my tongue and throat feel numb? I feel very afraid of losing control of my tongue and throat. If I could know that this isn’t what will happen I feel I can cope with the rest of the procedure. Many thanks.

Hi whatkatiedid1993,

very well done on plucking up the courage to see a dentist and get this teeth sorted.

Your throat won't feel numb. Your tongue will feel numb partially and so will your lower lip on the number side and a part of your chin. It feels strange, but the important thing to keep in mind is that the anesthetics only shuts of pain and not movement. You will be able to breathe normally and also move your tongue and your lips and talk and breathe etc. If you would like to get an idea of how it feels, it might be an idea to get some lozenges against sore throat (there are some that contain anesthetic to ease the pain, just ask the pharmacist) and make sure to put them on the spots you worry about. It may help you to get an idea about the sensations that you will feel on your gums / tongue after the numbing.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dentist about this beforehand so that they can look after you better after the numbing and make sure you feel ok and settled with the sensation before the actual treatment starts.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

I just had my 2nd molar on the lower right extracted last week. I had the nerve block shot, plus a few others. My throat was not at all numb, neither was my tongue. My jaw was numb from the joint to about where my front teeth are, but my tongue was not numb.

Good job with getting up the courage to get it done. I was terrified as well, but I am glad it is out now. Mine had the nerve infected and was quite painful. The relief is amazing.

Thank you both so much for replying!!! It’s so way when people who haven’t had it done say ‘well that won’t happen’ and you think to yourself but how do you know that or are you just saying it to shut me up. So it’s graat to hear it from people who have actually had it done!!! I am definitely going to book an appointment and see if I can go through with it this time. Xx

I'm literally an hour and 10 minutes past my lower back molar (not wisdom) being removed. It was a simple few numbing shots and aside from a feeling like a pin prick, it was cake. I winced a few seconds each time then relaxed as he pushed the numb inside.

The extraction for me was super simple despite having a slightly curved root. It just felt like he was pressing down hard in the center of my tooth for a little while then he suddenly smiled, "All done." it was as simple as reading this. I haven't been to dentist since 03 and it's so so so much easier now. It's super changed for the better.

You'll do fine, I know it.

Let me add: the pain won't be felt. At all. They test first and IF you do feel pain they numb more. Your comfort and calm is what they care about. :) you will feel pressure , which isn't painful at all. Like i said it'll feel like he's pushing down hard on your tooth like in the center. He's really not but it legit feels like it. I forgotten about these little things between 03 and now so I'm writing while it's fresh.

My numb side is numb: lower lip, numb side chin, numb side tongue. I just took two tylenol (acetaminophen) with two gentle sips of drink.

Follow the post extraction rules to the letter. Baby the extraction site. You need the teeth out, yes. Youre going to get them out for your health and your life. But you do not want dry socket. Follow the post extraction rules to the letter. If you smoke, you ARE a non smoker for 48 hours. Trust me. You do not want dry socket. I had it in 03. Follow the post extraction rules to the letter. I keep repeating it because it is that vital.

Last edited:
Hi: i was terrified to have a tooth extracted, tooth #32 , the crown broke off and the tooth was cracked at the gum line-- i put it off for a few months, but i take really good care of my gums and teeth and did not want to get an infection. I cancelled the appointment twice. I have atrial fibrillation and was afraid the numbing agent would cause my heart to race really fast. I talked to the dentist about it- and i asked for an order for Xanax: he ordered one pill which i took an hour prior to the appt. that pill caused me to chill out. I had a great oral surgeon; the numbing agent took effect quickly. yes it numbs your tongue and lower jaw for a while. no problem swallowing or anything like that. the extraction was over so quickly i hardly had time to get more nervous. Everything went well. I hope you go through with it-- it is important to get cracked teeth out of your mouth.

I'm literally an hour and 10 minutes past my lower back molar (not wisdom) being removed. It was a simple few numbing shots and aside from a feeling like a pin prick, it was cake. I winced a few seconds each time then relaxed as he pushed the numb inside.

The extraction for me was super simple despite having a slightly curved root. It just felt like he was pressing down hard in the center of my tooth for a little while then he suddenly smiled, "All done." it was as simple as reading this. I haven't been to dentist since 03 and it's so so so much easier now. It's super changed for the better.

You'll do fine, I know it.

Let me add: the pain won't be felt. At all. They test first and IF you do feel pain they numb more. Your comfort and calm is what they care about. :) you will feel pressure , which isn't painful at all. Like i said it'll feel like he's pushing down hard on your tooth like in the center. He's really not but it legit feels like it. I forgotten about these little things between 03 and now so I'm writing while it's fresh.

My numb side is numb: lower lip, numb side chin, numb side tongue. I just took two tylenol (acetaminophen) with two gentle sips of drink.

Follow the post extraction rules to the letter. Baby the extraction site. You need the teeth out, yes. Youre going to get them out for your health and your life. But you do not want dry socket. Follow the post extraction rules to the letter. If you smoke, you ARE a non smoker for 48 hours. Trust me. You do not want dry socket. I had it in 03. Follow the post extraction rules to the letter. I keep repeating it because it is that vital.

you are absolutely correct about following post extraction instructions to the letter. I was terrified i would get a dry socket so i paid close attention to those instructions.

Back