• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

made an appointment! after 10+ years. I'm still scared!!!

C

cherrycherry

It took me days to make the call! I emailed a bunch of dentists with my fears and one office was much more considerate than others with their reply.

For so long I felt like it was "too late" ... has anyone else felt that way? but my appointment is september 16th and I think it will all be uphill from there! I hope. I can't help but still be afraid of whatever lies ahead!:rolleyes:

It took me days to make the call! I emailed a bunch of dentists with my fears and one office was much more considerate than others with their reply.

For so long I felt like it was "too late" ... has anyone else felt that way? but my appointment is september 16th and I think it will all be uphill from there! I hope. I can't help but still be afraid of whatever lies ahead!:rolleyes:

hi cherry!! i am emailing dentists, too. what did the dentist you ended up calling say that was more considerate than the others?

i'm so proud of you for making the appointment! it is scary, but it's good that you have such a good feeling about it besides your fear. :)

i also feel like it's 'too late' for me and my teeth. but i think slowly and surely i'll get these things filled and feel less fear!

-- Lorelei

Hi Cherryx2!

Yep. I waited 25 years to finally make my appointment. I've had bad teeth as far back as I can remember, they don't get better. I had a molar break off a month ago and freaked out for a while. I felt totally trapped.

I was so happy to find this website, after reading the forum for a week or so I finally got the courage up to start looking for a dentist, a few days later I was able to pick up the phone and make the appointment (not without shaking and crying a bit afterward). I was very clear with them that I'm totally afraid of the dentist and that I would need someone who could handle working with me in a compassionate and non-judgmental manner. I can't give a verdict yet, but if my first visit was any indication I'm really hoping that I'll have a good relationship with my dentist (can't believe I said that <g>)

I haven't had any work done yet, but did have my first appointment a week ago and had x-rays and let the dentist look inside :redface:

I have my first real appointment a week from tomorrow that will entail 2 extractions (1 wisdom tooth and the molar next to it), 3 fillings (one of those is the molar that broke off a month ago) and a full mouth debridement. I found a dentist in my area that offers sedation dentistry, I'll take a valium an hour before my appointment and have the work done under sedation. I hope this works.

It's not too late. Good luck to you on the 16th :XXLhug:

-nellie

Well done for making that first appointment. You should be thrilled you have got this far. I know exactly where you are coming from. I had to e mail for an appointment as I could not ring. Tears flowed.

But I got there and the dentist was lovely, talked to me and got me through the inspection.

I have been for my second appointment today and went in there much more relaxed and have had two small fillings. The dentist once again talked me through it and I came out readily able to make my next appointment. I am slowly getting there and hope that you find the courage to take that first step too and find a dentist who will work through it with you.

The best of luck

Back