• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Major anxiety

B

beachlover

I went to the dentist for the first time in 2.5 years. What drove me in was a chipped tooth. I knew it would need a crown, but now I'm told it needs a root canal (scheduled for Tuesday). They also told me I need another crown on the bottom left behind this tooth (possible root canal but won't know until they are in there) as well as 3 crowns on the other bottom side. I am devastated. I knew I needed some work but I didn't think it would be this extensive. This treatment plan is truly affecting my quality of life and am feeling beyond anxious, nervous, and stressed. I'm worried about how my teeth will look and worried about how eating and chewing will feel with that many crowns. Even looking at the sheet of paper from the dentist sends my anxiety through the roof. Any words of wisdom on how to deal with the anxiety and diagnosis?

Beachlover,

I know it feels overwhelming to have to do a bit of work. I want to encourage you though.. coming from someone who has every single tooth is a crown.. I feel they are not different than my older previous teeth , maybe better.. or stronger. and actually I am getting 4-5 new crowns this year, already started with 2 which I have temps in now for.. but once you get them in. You should still be able to taste and function just like regular teeth and maybe bettter!! certainly in my case. My last time I got these crowns in was 14 year ago. They lasted that long and probably had I have better flossing habit years ago maybe would have lasted longer. but.. just want to encourage you.. you can really live a great quality of life with crowns in all aspects !! not that it makes it any easier for you, its still a process but I really wish you the best with this!! Take one day at a time. I'm an extremely anxious patient myself I hope your dentist is great with you too!

Hearing the list of dental work that needs to be done is jarring to say the least, especially when you suffer from dental phobia. The first time I heard the news that I would need all of my teeth removed I sat out in my car for about an hour unable to drive I was in such a state, so I know how you feel. It’s so hard to be objective when your mind is trying to wrap around all the information you’ve been given, so it’s good you are reaching out for support.

It’s hard to acknowledge now, but you were actually given some very positive news from your dentist today. Your teeth can not only be saved, they can be fixed! You’ll need a couple of procedures, but at the end of them you will have a healthy mouth and no more dental woes! The end is in sight. I’ve had a couple of root canals and although there are a couple of injections to numb you, once those are through you will be comfortable throughout the procedure. Same for preparation for the crowns. Dentists do take care to make sure there is as little discomfort as possible, especially now a days. And if you need something in addition to help you relax you can ask about having nitrous oxide.

I have had to endure extensive dental surgery and what has helped me is to take it one step at a time one day at a time. You have a root canal first you said. Try not to worry or think ahead to what else need to be done. The dentist just gave you an overview of the work you need.
Remember you’re in control of the timing and pace of those procedures for the most part, unless it’s somethjng pressing that needs to be addressed right away. You’re already a lot braver than you think for taking the first step and going to see the dentist. I spent years and years in fear and by the time I went it was too late to save my teeth. I applaud you for taking control over your health and putting one foot in front of the other in spite of the fear. I wish you the best and hope you’ll post updates along your journey.

Thank you for your kind words. I feel so alone in this. I look at people around me and see their smiles and hear that they don't have any dental problems. I wish I would have taken better care (I never felt like I lacked care that much - missed flossing but never terribly!), wish I had better teeth, wish I didn't have to go through all of this. It just makes me so sad.

Thank you for your kind words. I feel so alone in this. I look at people around me and see their smiles and hear that they don't have any dental problems. I wish I would have taken better care (I never felt like I lacked care that much - missed flossing but never terribly!), wish I had better teeth, wish I didn't have to go through all of this. It just makes me so sad.

I know how you feel. Sometimes to this day I struggle when I see a person with beautiful natural teeth. Shame over our conditions is counter productive and won’t help change the situation. What I do when I start having those thoughts is change them over to positive ones about how I’m taking steps to fix it. Practicing gratitude also helps me. I look around at all of the good and positive things I have in my life and it improves my outlook. It also helps to view my condition for what it is...treatable. There are so many people going through much greater things who aren’t as fortunate to say that.

Take positive steps every day to improve your situation and before you know it your feelings will catch up. The fact that you’re doing something to help yourself now is something to be proud of. Do your best to stay focused on that. In the meantime you can read around this forum and see that a lot of people have feelings similar to yours and it can really help a lot.

If it makes you feel any better I have had root canals, crowns, and now an implant and people always say how nice my teeth are - they really can’t tell! A good dentist can work wonders!! In terms of the treatment plan, I think it helps to break it up into manageable chunks and to try to only think about one appt at a time.

If it makes you feel any better I have had root canals, crowns, and now an implant and people always say how nice my teeth are - they really can’t tell! A good dentist can work wonders!! In terms of the treatment plan, I think it helps to break it up into manageable chunks and to try to only think about one appt at a time.

How does it feel? Can you eat normally?

I can totally eat normally! I don’t even notice them and they all feel completely like normal teeth.

How does it feel? Can you eat normally?

I have one crown and it's perfectly fine to eat on. As the other poster said it's also pretty good looking.

I can only agree with the rest - you won't notice much difference between the crown and the tooth and you will be able to do with it everything you can do with a tooth too. I have one crown and it feels like a tooth and acts like a tooth, no difference.
Hope your stress and shock about the 'bad news' will be gone soon. It seems to me that you got really surprised and were unprepared and now you need a bit of time to process it - the shock, the sadness, the regret, it's normal to feel this. Just do not be too hard with yourself and don't judge yourself.

Thank you. Do any of you have experience with multiple crowns? And multiple dome at the same time? I think after this root canal and crown I’m going to find another dentist. The one I went to was not very nice and made me feel like I had to do everything immediately. He was short and didn’t feel like he recognized my questions or worries.

I have multiple crowns but none were done at the same time. You should not tolerate a dentist who is unkind or one who is not willing to work with you at a pace you can manage and afford.

I for one can really relate to what you're saying here. I know it feels overwhelming now but just keep taking it one step at a time and you will get there;)

As one who has gotten a lot of crowns in the past and is actually going through the process of getting new crowns now . My new dentist had me down to get three crowns down this last time. I emailed them, having never done crowns there, i just wanted to take things slow even though I really trust and appreciate this dentist and his work and personality well. I told them I would do two at the most at a time. and they were very understanding and said "sounds like a plan"... I think any dentist especially that works with anxious patients will be totally understanding. and if you feel he is not... I would definately consider another opinion. You want to feel comfortable!!

Thank you all. I have my root canal tomorrow. Then I will have to schedule my follow up for my post and crown. I'm so nervous! I'm trying not to let myself get overwhelmed knowing this is just the first step of many to come. After I get this crown I'm going to try to find a new dentist since I'm just not comfortable with this one.

Beachlover,

Every single one of my teeth that are not my partial are crowns , either regular or my one implant crown. and my they are very natural looking and acting and I can taste just fine with my crowns. It is different with my partial. though my partial IS better than the teeth I had previous to it.. Sorry your dentist was short with you. I think for me I have to feel I'm being heard and listened to in a true sense. if I don't I'm out.. so I hope that if you don't feel comfortable you can find someone who really listens because there are definitely some very caring compassionate and competent dentists out there.. I'm thankful myself to have found one!!

Thank you. Do any of you have experience with multiple crowns? And multiple dome at the same time? I think after this root canal and crown I’m going to find another dentist. The one I went to was not very nice and made me feel like I had to do everything immediately. He was short and didn’t feel like he recognized my questions or worries.

Sending good thoughts for tomorrow!!

Root canal is over. I shook the entire time :(. The temporary filling is in until I have my crown and post placed next Wednesday. Then I’ll have to get two crowns at that appointment. I can’t help but worry and be anxious for all of the rest of the work I need. I really am hoping I don’t need another root canal.

Root canal is over. I shook the entire time :(. The temporary filling is in until I have my crown and post placed next Wednesday. Then I’ll have to get two crowns at that appointment. I can’t help but worry and be anxious for all of the rest of the work I need. I really am hoping I don’t need another root canal.

CONGRATULATIONS!?You did it! You got through your root canal appointment, that’s huge! So you did it shaking...that means you pushed through the fear and did what you had to do to help yourself even though it was hard! You’re awesome and amazing for having done that, for putting yourself in a place that doesn’t feel natural to you because you know it’s the best thing to do in the long run. Some of us (like me) do it drugged so we have no clue what’s happening and some of us shake and or cry. All of it’s okay...whatever we need to do to in order to cope with what is overwhelming us is all perfectly okay, the end result at the end of the day is we do what needs to be done! I hope you and every single person on this forum who gets through even a dental cleaning is proud of themselves. We hang in when we want to run away, and we’re all still here supporting each other. You should be very proud of yourself! :)

It may take you a couple days to come down from the appointment since you were feeling some intense anxiety. Do get some rest and take a little time to celebrate your victory before thinking ahead to your crowns. Keep us posted please. Again, so happy for you! :)

Hey, you got through the treatment, well done! :)

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your current dentist and feel pushed into things. I hope you can very soon find a new practice who respects your bounderies - feeling comfortable with a dentist is the absolute basis or all.

Back