• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mid life, empty nest mom, afraid, and clueless about what needs done

S

Sweetmary52

Hello, and thanks so much. My uncle, was a dentist, my dad his brother, and they, and me, too are old school. I was the first kid i knew go have braces, before that, went to a dentist as a kid, that drilled and hurt people. I lived in the country, most of my teeth now, way later are refilled, crowned, posts with root canals, or fake teeth, now though, for a while since i have been off work, with hair chemical poisoning, as a stylist, and refilled teeth. Some broke now or had no shell left. I have ohio care sojrce my care oh. I am going for first fisit there this week. I tried about three to four, locally in ten years, and they were all mean, and talked down, and shamed and i didnt let it, well maybe, but dient go back. One of my teeth on top by eye tooth is broke, one next was pulled. Front are there on top, and on bottom , there is a space of two missing. Bottom front are there. I dont really want all pulled, and i know it is worrying me and exhausting me. I blamed myself, in reality, lack of fluoride, many teeth a shell, with huge filling, and wearing braces, they caved. I appreciate any help or insight. Thank you!

HI sweetmary52,
Sorry to read that you are suffering and that you have not had any luck finding kind/compassionate dentists in the past. Do you know anything about the office you will be going to this time? I cannot speak for what will need to be done but I do know that there are many more treatment options in recent years that were not available to us before. Dentistry is making great advances allowing for more positive experiences and clinical outcomes. Is there anything specific that scares you about going? It sounds like you have some fear of the unknown in regards to finding out about the actual state of your dental health and a lot of people wrestle with that when trying to get themselves through the door, initially. My best piece of advice is to treat the first appointment like an interview and if it’s not a good fit, you don’t have to commit to anything. That doesn’t mean that you have to go in and ask them a bunch of questions but just see how you feel with them. If they don’t make you feel safe or they aren’t respectful of your fears, you’re the customer and there are plenty of other dentists out there who want your business. You are the one in control. I hope you have a positive first experience with this office. You are welcome here anytime to vent, ask questions, or celebrate personal victories. All of us at DFC will be here to support you and cheer you on. Wishing you all the best as you start your journey. Please let us know how you get on!

Hello SweetMary52.

I second everything Kitkat said so well. I am sorry for all you have been through ,you had some scary and rough experiences in the past.. I did too up until 30 they were all scary. and shaming. Kitkat , I and many others know that you can find someone who will care for you in a kind ,compassionate way and know you deserve that and nothing less! Its really nerve wracking getting up the guts to go after having bad experiences for years.. and its incredibly brave !! You seem like a very strong person !

I hope your first visit goes well.. like Kitkat says,, keep writing as much as you'd like and we will support and encourage you.. I know for me.. I mostly share my dental story here on DFC where people understand me and support me in a really kind way.. We are glad you are here!

Back